Royal Prank Call Nurse Found Dead

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This to me shows that the media has a responsibility to ensure that it acts in a proper manner at all times. Using ordinary people who are trying to go about their business to provide cheap laughs is irresponsible, they have no idea how people will react particularly if they have been going through a bad time personally.

I'd have been tempted to get on the next plane to Australia and beat the radio hosts faces to a pulp if it were me on the receiving end!

I think it is all fine if the person has the opportunity to choose whether they would mind it being broadcast or not. That seems all right. Happens in the UK.

Sorry Wrighty, I don't have any sympathy for the radio hosts whatsoever. This type of schoolboy humour amounts to a kind of bullying and has no place in entertainment.

I often thought the same about the Candid Camera type of show. but at least they don't go out live and you have the chance to stop them being aired.

Well they have now realised that they almost certainly caused the death of this woman. This was never their intention. And no doubt, they never felt they were doing wrong at the time because such things are so common and part of the comedy culture of pranking. But now they probably feel absolutely awful.

Sorry Wrighty, I don't have any sympathy for the radio hosts whatsoever. This type of schoolboy humour amounts to a kind of bullying and has no place in entertainment.

I often thought the same about the Candid Camera type of show. but at least they don't go out live and you have the chance to stop them being aired.

I take your point. The Jeremy Beadle type things, and even Noel Edmonds' prank calls were usually set up by friends of the victims, who presumably knew that the joke would be taken in good humour, and the victims probably had censorship rights if they really didn't want it broadcast. I just feel for the DJs because the nurse's reaction was so far beyond what any of us would have expected - as LDV has just posted they must feel dreadful.

It's hardly funny - I mean the patient concerned wasn't in for an in-growing toenail, she was in for extreme morning sickness which could cause the loss of her pregnancy. These nurses are employed to be involved in patient care. What bright spark thought it would be funny to take them away from those duties and distract them at a time when they could have been doing anything - drug rounds, acute treatment, emotional support, resuscitation even.

It doesn't matter whether the patient is aristocracy or pauper - they are entitled to focused nursing care without some idiots ringing up distracting the staff for a cheap laugh.

It's obvious that they could have never foreseen the outcome of their prank but it's all to easy (and maybe convenient) for us to imagine the victim was depressed, on the edge of doing something like this anyway etc etc. She might have been but everyone is different. Some people have a completely different life and work ethic to what we might consider is 'normal' (especially to those who would think this prank was a great laugh). Add that to the fact that our sense of humour doesn't always translate well in Europe never mind across continents and whilst some of us crave publicity and will do anything say to be on tv, others completely shun any publicity. Then there is the concept of honour which we don't really get at all, yet can be pivotal in other parts of the world.

So perhaps we should remember all this when deciding it might be funny to harass, live on air, someone we've never met on the other side of the world just trying to do their responsible job to the best of their ability at a time when the rest of us were probably all in bed. Perhaps we should reconsider if it really is OK to then continue to harass them for days on the radio station's website and with the considerable power of you tube, twitter etc whilst basking in the supposed glory of worldwide attention and perhaps we should acknowledge that everyone is different and not have the arrogance to suggest we know how they should have felt in such circumstances.

As for feeling sorry for this pair of 'heroes for a day' idiots and their station management, I find that difficult. It's mainly because I detest this culture of finding humour in ridicule of others. I know it's always happened (like the visiting lunatic asylums in victorian times) but with the powerful media of crass idiot tv and the net it has the ability, sometimes, to be devastating and that should not be allowed. But yes, I do feel a bit sorry for them whilst at the same time wondering how sorry they really are.

Just a thought..... not looking for a fight...

Well if she did kill herself purely because of this and little else had an influence then she was led there by very poor thinking. That is why most people wouldn't consider it would come to something like this.

''poor thinking'' is a bit harsh, LDV. For me, this escapade and its consequence was the 'tipping-point' for this woman and the catalyst for her drastic reaction. You're correct though, most people wouldnt've resorted to suicide over something like this. There must've been other darkness in her life that hasn't come to light yet, if ever.

If not for this sad outcome, most people, especially those irreverant Aussies, would still be tittering about it. The 'royalists' would be assuming offence but that's as far as it would've gone.

Could have felt a little sorry for the DJ's concerned, except that this radio station has 'form' for tasteless pranks, and had already been warned several times by the authorities. You would have thought they would have learnt their lesson.

Problem is, and having spent some time in Australia, it is a country where one upmanship is the name of the game, and people there are generally more thick skinned / hard faced than in the UK. The basis for their modern civilisation didn't really get off to the best start.

Feel for the family and colleagues of the deceased.

What I was meaning that whatever emotional state this person was in and whatever background she had from a cultural perspective (if that even comes into it) she was led into what I would hope anyone would think of as poor thinking, such that it seemed better to kill herself. It may be not be that she pondered on it long and may be that she was in such emotional torment that it was easier. But it was poor thinking all the same because she's dead.

Read it again Ballaughbiker so you know what I am saying. Aside from any other issues going on in this woman's life, she would be far better being alive than dead. She had poor reasons to kill herself. She had poor thinking at the time. (Doesn't matter about culture if that had an impact - if her culture is such that this would make it far easier to chose death then that's a bad aspect of her culture).

Archived