Shooting At Connecticut Elementary School

HeliX

Oh well, if you're worried about US gun ownership you could always move to Kennesaw. In 1982 they introduced some by-laws I guess we would call them:

"(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.

(b)Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony."

Strangely their crime rate then plummeted and remains among the lowest in the US of A. I wonder why that is.....

It's America. By the time they'd eliminated all those with a mental disability there was no one left to own a firearm.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20975608

Well, how about that? A brave teacher manages to prevent a possible similar incident - a brave unarmed teacher!

I was thinking the same thing! The news I have seen suggests one person was critically injured but is still alive - now imagine what would have happened if that teacher had been armed... Probably at least one fatality if not more!

Ah more selective reporting from the BBC, but I agree that its not really a teachers place!. Its also a good job that he wasn't after everyone and anyone like Lanza.

"They talked him into putting that shotgun down. He in fact told the teacher, `I don't want to shoot you,' and named the person that he wanted to shoot,"

This is a couple of recent cases that make for another argument. Nothing mentioned about either for some reason, it does seem odd. The media should report all similar incidents regardless of the circumstances.

http://beforeitsnews...ng-2524596.html

http://minutemennews...ve-saved-lives/

What do you mean BB?. NY city is another hell hole and its right up there to. Canada has quite a lot of restrictions.

The media should report all similar incidents regardless of the circumstances.

Really? So the media should devote as much time to each shooting in the USA (around 12,000 per year) and to every attempted killing that is prevented that is prevented as it does to the mass killing of small children in a school?

To suggest the fact that a tradgedy was prevented by an armed Officer provides evidence that civillians should legally have access to firearms and that will make the world a safer place is wrong. To suggest that bias led to the widespread reporting of one and not the others is ridiculous.

The media should report all similar incidents regardless of the circumstances.

Really? So the media should devote as much time to each shooting in the USA (around 12,000 per year) and to every attempted killing that is prevented that is prevented as it does to the mass killing of small children in a school?

To suggest the fact that a tradgedy was prevented by an armed Officer provides evidence that civillians should legally have access to firearms and that will make the world a safer place is wrong. To suggest that bias led to the widespread reporting of one and not the others is ridiculous.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick. Firstly Piers was talking through is rear-end with those figures, according to the FBI, in 2011 there were 12,664 homicides, of which 8,583 were by* firearm, 400 of those justifiable homicide by law enforcement, and 260 justifiable by private citizens. Secondly we're not talking about the CT shooting, we're talking about the latest incident that happened in a school (see post #235), vs other similar incidents that I could find no mention of*.

Where did I suggest that?. Although the guy in the Oregon Mall was not an officer.

So after searching the BBC have reported the Oregon mall incident, fair enough, but did not mention why the killer possibly stopped. I can find no report on the San Antonio incident.

*Sp

If ordinary citizens carried a gun, I think it would serve as a deterrent to violent crime against ordinary citizens in communities.

It has never worked that way - anywhere! Such freedom to bear arms inevitably leads to an escalation of violence. All of the countries where firearms are easily obtained have much higher homicide rates than those which exercise control.

Except it has worked that way. America has a lower violent crime rate than the UK.

Why do American citizens need access to firearms?

The answer is very simple:

The founders of the Republic of the United States (e.g. Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, & Co - some of the greatest minds in history) put the Second Amendment into the Constitution so that the citizenry could protect themselves from a tyrannical government taking over and oppressing them. In fact, it says it is the DUTY of the citizenry to rise up and kick a tyrant out. They had just got rid of one tyrant - George III - and wanted to safeguard the new nation from another one taking his place.

President Obama and all the other elected officials in the United States swear to defend the Constitution. To go against it is treason. The Constitution is a brilliant document. Unlike in the UK, where our authoritarian system is all about giving power to government, the US Constitution is designed to LIMIT government - to establish a separation of powers, and a system of checks and balances, precisely to protect the Republic from getting into the hands of a tyrant.

The only reason we don't have easier access to weapons here is because the Norman conquerors violently invaded and disarmed us back in 1066, and the government has had a monopoly on violence ever since, and has been able to violently suppress the peasants whenever they started getting uppity about things like rights and being treated decently. Disarming the population never had anything to do with safety or crime. It's about control.

My question to you is: why do you believe the government should have a monopoly on violence?

The greatest cause of death throughout history has always been democide (murder by government). It's a pity the 6-7 million Jews who got murdered didn't have guns to protect themselves. The Jews out in Israel know this only too well, which is why they're armed -- so that next time some butthole wants to wipe them out, they'll be ready for them.

So you're another one that ignores the fact that the 2nd Amendment was written, the firearm of the day was a musket, capable of firing 2-3 rounds a minute (if you're well trained and practiced).

I don't think the founding fathers imagined anything that can fire 800 rounds a minute, at 8000 fps and designed to penertrate body armor...

And lets face it (as it has been said before on this thread) if the government was going to take over the US, they have access to drones, Apaches, stealth bombers and Blackhawks full of highly trained and well equipped professional soldiers....Billy Bob and his Winchester aren't exactly a major threat...

And then there is the small issue of getting your military to turn its guns on the public.....

So you're another one that ignores the fact that the 2nd Amendment was written, the firearm of the day was a musket, capable of firing 2-3 rounds a minute (if you're well trained and practiced).

The type of gun used in 1776 is irrelevant.

I don't think the founding fathers imagined anything that can fire 800 rounds a minute, at 8000 fps and designed to penertrate body armor...

And lets face it (as it has been said before on this thread) if the government was going to take over the US, they have access to drones, Apaches, stealth bombers and Blackhawks full of highly trained and well equipped professional soldiers....Billy Bob and his Winchester aren't exactly a major threat...

And then there is the small issue of getting your military to turn its guns on the public.....

Yes, things have gotten very complicated. The thing is, most of the military on the ground are pro-Constitution. Of all the candidates, Ron Paul (a constitutional libertarian) received the most support from them. More than Obama or Romney. If we assume for a moment that there are forces in the United States who want to steer it toward totalitarianism, then I think they fear the military people, because they might be the instrument in preventing it or carrying out an insurrection, the same way the Roman legion came down and liberated Rome from the grip of Nero. We should never assume that being in the military makes someone automatically on the side of the government no matter what. The military swear an oath to defend the country and the constitution, NOT the government.

The type of gun used in 1776 is irrelevant.

Really, so why are gun nuts today trying to use a 1776 piece of legislation to justify owning something that wouldn't look out of place on the battlefield of 2013?

The Constitution refers to the right to bear arms, it doesn't specify a musket. Obviously they meant within reason, and not for everyone to each have a tactical nuke or a tank in their garage. There's a fine line. I don't believe the Government has any better right to have such weapons than the ordinary citizens.

Archived