China Bans The Internet!

ScotsAlan

Right. I have my rants and raves about the lack of outward internet access from China.

Facebook is banned.

Twitter is banned.

BBC is sometimes blocked.

Since last week I can't access flickr.

.... And Google searches tend to turn up things two years out of date. Google stood up to them of course and were ejected.

Bing is censored. But they sold out so they can get more current search results.

Safari is censored less...... But apple were first to sell out so they could have a Chinese Itunes.

Real Android is banned. But a cut down version is the best selling smartphone base in China. And hey, let's not forget that Samsung are happy to go along with that so long as they can sell their pnones at 4 or 5 hundred quid a pop.

Funny thing is. I have no problem with this really. It's business.

But tonight, the lead story on BBC was this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20857480

This annoys me. Because it is a non story. China already has a controlled internet. They announced new laws last year that everyone ignored anyway. Now they are annoyed that they were ignored, and announced that they would be enforced.

But people will still ignore them. And next year the Government will announce again that they will be enforced. And again they will be ignored.

Erm. The point of my rant is this...... everyone knows this. The Chinese internet user knows this. The BBC reporters know this.

So why on earth is this headline news?

Of all the problems and issues in the world, why do the BBC decide to have a lead story on something nobody actually cares about?

Erm...... Sorry for the rant :-)

I just don't understand what the BBC are trying to achieve.

OK. I posted a link to a BBC story on another thread tonight. They are usefull at times.

But is it really value for money to have teams of reporters posted around the globe (how many on the Island?) just in case something happens?

I really dislike headline non-stories. Rant over :-)

Right. I have my rants and raves about the lack of outward internet access from China.

Facebook is banned.

Twitter is banned.

.... And Google searches tend to turn up things two years out of date. Google stood up to them of course and were ejected.

Bing is censored. But they sold out so they can get more current search results.

Safari is censored less...... But apple were first to sell out so they could have a Chinese Itunes.

Real Android is banned. But a cut down version is the best selling smartphone base in China. And hey, let's not forget that Samsung are happy to go along with that so long as they can sell their pnones at 4 or 5 hundred quid a pop.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-20857480

This annoys me. Because it is a non story. China already has a controlled internet. They announced new laws last year that everyone ignored anyway. Now they are annoyed that they were ignored, and announced that they would be enforced.

But people will still ignore them. And next year the Government will announce again that they will be enforced. And again they will be ignored.

Erm. The point of my rant is this...... everyone knows this. The Chinese internet user knows this. The BBC reporters know this.

Of all the problems and issues in the world, why do the BBC decide to have a lead story on something nobody actually cares about?

Alan, are you sure all these sites are banned or is it just that the ISP is useless like MT? After all any site with moving pictures has been banned in my house for years.

They are not officially banned MB. Because that would be against human rights etc. But they are blocked. Because for a company to provide an internet service in China, they have to agree to allow the government to censor it and remove posts as they see fit. At least that is the unofficial Government line. The real Government line is that the leaders have their kids working in the "Copy" internet and don't want competition.

Yes, NeverAgain, I can use a VPN. There is a free one I can use that works most of the time..... there is another one I can use but only at luchtime :-) And you can always pay for one. But unfortunately you can't pay for them from China :-(

But my rant was not against the Chinese Government's control of the internet. It was about the way the BBC takes a non story and tries to turn it into a headline story about nothing. It is just so negative.

The internet control here is just something you have to live with. And if you live here you just say "Hey ho.... when in Rome....."

What annoys me is the number of people the BBC have working here. All paid for by the license fee tax. And if you are lucky they might produce one new story worth reading..... erm..... well.... never.

They don't lead the news. Everything they report is just a re-write of what real journalists are going out to find. They just seem to sit in their office reading the internet and rehash it in a sensationalist way.

The BBC has a very well paid team of senior journalists in China, reporting on nothing. They have a team of well paid understudies on the Island working towards the high paid exotic postings.

My rant is about how do we get these people out of their cosy offices to investigate and report.

They take our money. They should at least make a half hearted effort to earn it !!!!

And so endeth the second rant :-)

ScotsAlan I agree this is not exactly new news. Back in the mid 90s when I was in China they used to blank out foreign TV if it was considered inappropriate.

IMO ANYONE WHO STOPS FACEBOOK AND TWITTER ARE DOING THE WORLD A SERVICE - BUT THAT IS A PERSONAL OPINION (sorry the Caps Lock got stuck and I don't feel like a retype).

Facebook is banned.

Twitter is banned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-20857480

Alan, are you sure all these sites are banned or is it just that the ISP is useless like MT? After all any site with moving pictures has been banned in my house for years.

You too eh MB? My misses caught me on one of those web-sites too......................................

ETA. for Alan, if most news websites are blocked in China you will probably not have heard about todays missile launch from North Korea, the missile with the working warhead that the North Koreans have lost contact with but last spotted on the radar as headed in your direction.

Dont panic, do what we were told in the 80s in the UK, hide under your kitchen table with a couple of bed sheets to form a radiation proof screen. Take under there as many cans of baked beans as you have and dont go outside until the next century, good luck and happy New Year..............................nuke.gifw00t.gif

Archived