Pinewood...more Govt Propaganda

Albert Tatlock

Is there a willing buyer for such a large tranche?

Do they all have to be sold to the same person, or all at once? If they sold them off slowly in small amounts, without flooding the market, monitoring changes in demand, as reflected in share price, it wouldn't cause a problem.

In fact, I think it would help there case if they were to realise the profits by selling a small proportion of the shares - perhaps £1m worth - and using the money to, for example, stop the toilet tax. If people saw this investment delivering real benefits, by helping to fund a necessary service without a stealth tax, they might not be moanign about it. We'd still have over £17.5m-worth of shares, and no toilet tax.

who runs the manx goverment portfolio? does it go to tender? no doubt its a friend of the C/M who gets a nice fat fee whether they win or lose,this is wrong and should be put to tender every few years i've run my own portfolio for the past 25 years, had my ups and downs,but by buying reasonably safe stocks alongside the occasional punt on an oil explorer or similar i seem to always have a nice 6/7% roc each year with the prospect of capital growth thrown in, if the manx goverment woulld like to contact me i would be pleased to advise them.

Do they all have to be sold to the same person, or all at once? If they sold them off slowly in small amounts, without flooding the market, monitoring changes in demand, as reflected in share price, it wouldn't cause a problem.

In fact, I think it would help there case if they were to realise the profits by selling a small proportion of the shares - perhaps £1m worth - and using the money to, for example, stop the toilet tax. If people saw this investment delivering real benefits, by helping to fund a necessary service without a stealth tax, they might not be moanign about it. We'd still have over £17.5m-worth of shares, and no toilet tax.

You are Teare's financial advisor and I claim my £5

. The sole market this week was about £4,000 of shares bought yesterday.

Is the lack of trade down to lack of demand, or people not wanting to sell?

In reality a lack of demand. If there was a demand there would in all probability be many and frequent sales or if people were not prepared to sell at the price offered the share price would increase greatly.

It is also worth considering if the shares are such a great investment why do or did all the professional portfolio managers not invest in Pinewood. The investment in shares is a punt. If Pinewood get bought out or suddenly make a big windfall on land it owns then the IoM might get a decent return. If though it ends up reliant on trying to sell back in the market place in a few years time then chances are it will be a large loss.

• Like 1

. The sole market this week was about £4,000 of shares bought yesterday.

Is the lack of trade down to lack of demand, or people not wanting to sell?

Not many people outside of Peel Holdings and IOMG hold shares (3 investors own 95% of the stock), so there isn't a lot of supply (eg: they don't want or need to sell), neither is there much demand (eg: not many private or institutional investors want to buy as the major shareholders and market makers are to a degree controlling the entry price).

Across AIM demand really needs to be created as the risks/rewards can be considerable.

But looking at the number of trades in this stock the chances of offloading to private investors or institutions (as you might do with Lloyds or Barclays shares etc) is very unlikely indeed in the current market. Its not a film company - its a potential future property or development business that currently leases assets to film companies.

Edited by localyokel

You can't compare Pinewood Shares with BT Shares. BT Shares trade like you see in Wall Street. Buyers and Sellers constantly going at it. The Share Price is a good indication of what you'll get if you try to sell "now" (although you still need a buyer which gets harder the more you're trying to sell)

Pinewood is not like that. Shares in small numbers change hands occasionally. But 95% of Shares are held by 3 players, including us.

I believe (correct me please) this 5% is a requirement of the AIM Market. Pinewood is practically a private company with 3 shareholders.

There's no-one to sell our Shares to.

And I very much doubt either of the other two Shareholders could buy them off us without de-listing.

The "investment" has nowt to do with films.... that's the red herring.... the value is in the real estate....that's why Peel Holdings are still hanging around.

The way this has been structured and engineered it's clear that it doesn't fall into the transparent way that all of the other investments in our portfolio do. And there's a good reason for that. It bears all the hallmarks our CM (and previously as Treasury Minister).

It's opaque at best.

• Like 2

The "investment" has nowt to do with films.... that's the red herring.... the value is in the real estate....that's why Peel Holdings are still hanging around.

The way this has been structured and engineered it's clear that it doesn't fall into the transparent way that all of the other investments in our portfolio do. And there's a good reason for that. It bears all the hallmarks our CM (and previously as Treasury Minister).

It's opaque at best.

Next thing you'll be telling me the MEF purchase of the Nunnery is to do with Real Estate when it's obviously about Education. Gosh.

• Like 1

If there was a demand there would in all probability be many and frequent sales or if people were not prepared to sell at the price offered the share price would increase greatly.

Look at the volume of trade in general on markets all over the world at the moment. Very low. It's the thing that everyone is talking about. And yet every time there is any sign of profit taking prices quickly bounce back and often higher. Even in the past week. The reason is that there is very little reason to sell stocks at the moment - which means that any demand at all (and there is always some demand) is pushing prices higher.

It is also worth considering if the shares are such a great investment why do or did all the professional portfolio managers not invest in Pinewood. The investment in shares is a punt.

Ho ho. It certainly is if you listen to a "professional portfolio manager" (sic). The fact is that the indexes nearly always and certainly typically outperform so called active management.

ETA: those guys would have no reason to invest in a stock like that. They make their money collecting fees on regular trades.

I was looking at the trades online this morning. The sole market this week was about £4,000 of shares bought yesterday. So if you have £10m of shares and only one old duffer with four grand wanting to buy its going to take you an age to off load your holdings at a fair market price.

The illiquidity of this stock is a huge issue. In reality its only going to be another significant investor/partner coming along to buy this holding that's going to give us a mechanism to offload and its going to require a significant event to create that oppportunity - for instance them getting planning permission and then selling the stake on to a house builder as part of a develpment deal.

Otherwise there is no market in this share whatsoever.

Thanks. What I was trying to convey with my one line post. And of course, we don't have much say in policy because we are a minority shareholder. Mind you, if you had to choose Peel or IOMG to chart the course of your investment, that is probably a good thing.

When is the revolution? Can we just hurry up about it as this sinking slowly bollox through all these financial white elephants is really annoying

You've only be here about 2 weeks and now you want a revolution. Are you some kind of "outside agitator" ? :)