Pinewood...more Govt Propaganda

Albert Tatlock

• 9 months later...

sad to shuffle off this mortal coil so young R.I.P. fella

(I think Manx Radio's news team must still be down the canteen, not a peep out of them !)

They'll be waiting for the official press release.

Sad that someone dies so young.

• Like 4

I thought howard quayle stating that steve gave his time freely to help the island was stretching it a bit though

Well he sat on the MEA boards and did loads of advising and negotiating apparently. And when he was in charge of Cinemanx he was well renumerated and recompensed. Nobody works for nothing, especially in business, there is always an ulterior motive.

Just as an aside, whilst it's sad that somebody has passed away, many people who do many great things on the island, using Howard Quayle's words 'giving their time freely' - sadly pass away. I don't see much eulogising from IOMG and others involved with DED - examples, people involved in Manx Motorsports recently deceased, who contribute to society, freely giving their time, not charging the taxpayer or supping at the taxpayers teat! Perhaps it would be nice if the Chief Minister give other people the recognition they deserve.

Edited by 2112

Steve was the man who spotted the opportunity in the VAT agreement to Manx register films on the Island, shoot some of the production here then claim the whole VAT content back from the UK treasury

It was estimated that he generated over 200 million for the Manx exchequer in the first 10 years, not counting the amount that was spent locally by the film companies on hotels, transport etc.

On a personal level he was a genuinely nice guy who never affected any of the bullshit that goes with showbiz, he gave the impression of being slightly surprised at his success

One of the good guys, sadly missed

• Like 3

I thought howard quayle stating that steve gave his time freely to help the island was stretching it a bit though

Didn't he get £365,000 per year for advising about Pinewood investments?

I don't know precisely how much he was renumerated but let's say he wasn't giving his time freely and gratis.

I'm sure many other civil servants and all round good eggs work hard, work long hours etc. They get well rewarded and good benefits. Some people working in the private sector work lots of overtime, work weekends for no pay, for the love of the job and their organisations survival. It's called giving their time freely. Like TT Marshalls and many of the unpaid members of society who work for the benefit of others and the island.

• Like 1

Good post 2112

I was working every weekend and nights for years until last June when taken ill. No overtime, no thanks Just "what you do for the good of the firm"

I am now starting to see that there is life outside the four walls of the office. Will never work full time again.

Good post 2112

I was working every weekend and nights for years until last June when taken ill. No overtime, no thanks Just "what you do for the good of the firm"

I am now starting to see that there is life outside the four walls of the office. Will never work full time again.

At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you and your family, and if it means reduced hours, then you have made the right decision.

Good post 2112

At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you and your family, and if it means reduced hours, then you have made the right decision.