Gang Rape And Murder In India

Aquarius

What drives a group of men to behave in such a way that they repeatedly gang rape a woman, insert an iron rod so deep they cause extreme internal damage ( leading to death ) and then throw her from a moving vehicle? This is beyond shocking, beyond brutal, beyond human.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it isn't beyond human. It is completely human.

It's not human by any meaning I recognise. Yet another attempt by LDV to demonstrate that he is actually Jean Paul Sartre or some other so-called intellectual.

The people that carried this out should just be killed. By their actions, for me they forfeit their 'human' rights and I for one would be happy to administer the lethal injection if their guilt were proved beyond doubt.

I think they should be made to carry a photograph of the girl with them for the rest of their miserable lives. For her, I am happy she died, for them I hope they live long lives and have daughters (which should serve as a constant reminder of what their ridiculous pack animal behaviour lost) - I spit on their existence. Utterly despicable people.

Care to expand?

It's not human by any meaning I recognise. Yet another attempt by LDV to demonstrate that he is actually Jean Paul Sartre or some other so-called intellectual.

The people that carried this out should just be killed. By their actions, for me they forfeit their 'human' rights and I for one would be happy to administer the lethal injection if their guilt were proved beyond doubt.

This is very easy for anyone with some brain cells Wrighty. Not everyone who has some brain cells is a 'so-called intellectual'. Maybe your incomprehension is a result of your passions on this subjects, i.e. you are getting in a flap so are missing the obvious. Anyway...

1) These acts are committed by humans. They are human acts. Rare and shocking, but human nonetheless.

2) No other creature performs such an act as has been done here, i.e. with use of the iron rod and pushing in front of a vehicle. This is a behaviour only found with humans.

I'm not prepared to engage in another of your nit-picking semantic debates LDV. The OP was clearly expressing an emotional, not literal, opinion of this act that was, yes, carried out by individuals that are members of the species homo sapiens, rather than robots or something. I was agreeing with her sentiment and in the same post indicating that I thought you were a twat for expressing a contradictory opinion in one of your usual attempts to argue just for the sake of it. Your second 'explanatory' post has not changed my opinion.

I'm afraid that, without wishing to be contentious, I have to agree with LDV. To people like ourselves this may seem an act beyond comprehension - something that no sane human being could possibly be involved in. It - quite naturally - arouses feelings of anger, of repulsion and utter despair.

Unfortunately though, this is the kind of thing that happens when the thin veneer of civilisation is torn away to reveal the beast that lies within. The reason that human beings made it to the top of the animal kingdom is not simply that they were the cleverest or the most adaptable - but also because they were the most fearsome and ruthless.

This kind of what, to most of us, appears a sick perversion, is something that has probably happened many times and gone unreported in times of war and, if you think that ridiculous, just remember the kind of tortures that Ian Brady and Myra Hindley inflicted on their helpless young victims - purely for sexual gratification.

I agree that the men who were responsible for this disgusting act should forfeit their lives - anything less would be intolerable and would send out the wrong message to those who regard other people as potential playthings on which to slake their lust - but we have to be careful to recognise that they, and this incident, are far from unique.

The potential to commit acts such as this may be dormant inside us, but that potential is the heritage of our ancestors and we have to constantly guard against it ever seeking to emerge.

Your second 'explanatory' post has not changed my opinion.

But it's not a matter of arguing, just a matter of correcting. And it does well to make it clear that it is, rather than look at it as if it isn't. It becomes all the more shocking and worrying when understanding 'human nature'.

I'm afraid that, without wishing to be contentious, I have to agree with LDV. To people like ourselves this may seem an act beyond comprehension - something that no sane human being could possibly be involved in. It - quite naturally - arouses feelings of anger, of repulsion and utter despair.

Unfortunately though, this is the kind of thing that happens when the thin veneer of civilisation is torn away to reveal the beast that lies within. The reason that human beings made it to the top of the animal kingdom is not simply that they were the cleverest or the most adaptable - but also because they were the most fearsome and ruthless.

This kind of what, to most of us, appears a sick perversion, is something that has probably happened many times and gone unreported in times of war and, if you think that ridiculous, just remember the kind of tortures that Ian Brady and Myra Hindley inflicted on their helpless young victims - purely for sexual gratification.

I agree that the men who were responsible for this disgusting act should forfeit their lives - anything less would be intolerable and would send out the wrong message to those who regard other people as potential playthings on which to slake their lust - but we have to be careful to recognise that they, and this incident, are far from unique.

The potential to commit acts such as this may be dormant inside us, but that potential is the heritage of our ancestors and we have to constantly guard against it ever seeking to emerge.

I disagree most vehemently with your last paragraph, you may speak for yourself.

Whilst I maintain that within everyone is a potential killer, to kill would be in extreme circumstances, for example; to defend one's family or one's self, to protect someone who is being tortured/raped etc., or to have to kill in the event of war and even to kill to acquire food, however to kill after or during a sexual act of any kind is not within all of us at all and doesn't need guarding against.

Or were you referring to mankind in general/collectively?

It is interesting to see the proposed punishments above (I agree with all on an emotional level BTW), none of which could be executed here, but possibly could in the country this abominable crime took place. We do not appreciate how little life and individual dignity is valued in many cultures, nor how many differences still remain despite 'globalisation'.

We also love and enjoy the products of these 'less developed' countries, when the people producing them cannot even hope to afford them, live in squalor and medieval social conditions. But it kind of suits us to perpetuate that divide, while pontificating about brutal treatment, their culture and what we would do to punish them.

I disagree most vehemently with your last paragraph, you may speak for yourself.

Whilst I maintain that within everyone is a potential killer, to kill would be in extreme circumstances, for example; to defend one's family or one's self, to protect someone who is being tortured/raped etc., or to have to kill in the event of war and even to kill to acquire food, however to kill after or during a sexual act of any kind is not within all of us at all and doesn't need guarding against.

Or were you referring to mankind in general/collectively?

I understand exactly what you're saying and I agree - partly. The feelings I described are buried so deeply inside most of us that the chances are that we will never be aware of them.

Having said that, however, do you really think that the people who manned the concentration camps and performed all kinds of disgusting and degrading acts on the inmates were members of a different species? Or that those who did the same in Japanese POW camps or, more recently in Bosnia and Kosovo were lesser human beings? The truth is that, had it not been for the exceptional circumstances in which they - and probably many thousands of others - found themselves in, they would have gone through their lives just like you or I; completely unaware of the depravity that their normally dormant genetic heritage made them capable of.

I have seen an experiment in which 'ordinary' men were placed in control of others - a situation of prisoners and warders - which resulted in those playing the part of the custodians undergoing a frightening change in their personalities. They became not only domineering and contemptuous of those playing the part of prisoners (who, incidentally, became subservient to the point where they were sometimes admitting 'crimes' they'd only imagined), but actually forced the experiment to be cancelled when they began to display violent tendencies towards the 'captives.'

Violence is an innate part of our species. Civilisation, and social integration, has made it unacceptable. But that does not mean that we - any of us - have completely eliminated it from our character.

From a personal point of view, I deplore violence of any kind. It genuinely sickens me - whatever the motivation for it may be. But I am also aware of the fact that our civilisation still has a long way to travel before anyone can truthfully say that such instincts, such deep-rooted and abominable feelings, are completely removed from our personas.

It is interesting to see the proposed punishments above (I agree with all on an emotional level BTW), none of which could be executed here, but possibly could in the country this abominable crime took place. We do not appreciate how

little life and individual dignity is valued in many cultures, nor how many differences still remain despite 'globalisation'.

We also love and enjoy the products of these 'less developed' countries, when the people

producing them cannot even hope to afford them, live in squalor and medieval social conditions. But it kind of suits us to perpetuate that divide, while pontificating about brutal treatment, their culture and what we would do to punish them.

While I understand what you are saying here, no one has really mentioned culture. Do you not feel that the punishments mentioned here would not be suggested if the attack had not happened in the western world?

For me it feels even more shocking that this happened in India because I have always looked at their culture as actually being more gentle and civilised in a way. Yes, there's a gender divide, but this manifests it'sself in all cultures albeit in different ways - but there is less chance of alcohol being a factor ( and let's face it - much of violent crime involves booze ).

Archived