Gang Rape And Murder In India

Aquarius

I disagree most vehemently with your last paragraph, you may speak for yourself.

Whilst I maintain that within everyone is a potential killer, to kill would be in extreme circumstances, for example; to defend one's family or one's self, to protect someone who is being tortured/raped etc., or to have to kill in the event of war and even to kill to acquire food, however to kill after or during a sexual act of any kind is not within all of us at all and doesn't need guarding against.

Or were you referring to mankind in

general/collectively?

I understand exactly what you're saying and I agree - partly. The feelings I described are buried so deeply inside most of us that the chances are that we will never be aware of them.

Having said that, however, do you really think that the people who manned the concentration camps and performed all kinds of disgusting and degrading acts on the inmates were members of a different species? Or that those who did the

same in Japanese POW camps or, more recently in Bosnia and Kosovo were lesser human beings? The truth is that, had it not been for the exceptional circumstances in which they - and probably many thousands of others - found themselves in, they would have gone through

their lives just like you or I; completely unaware of the depravity that their normally dormant genetic heritage made them capable of.

I have seen an experiment in which 'ordinary' men were placed in control of others - a situation of prisoners and warders - which resulted in those playing the part of the custodians undergoing a frightening change in their personalities. They became not only domineering and contemptuous of those playing the part of prisoners (who, incidentally, became subservient to the point where they were

sometimes admitting 'crimes' they'd only imagined), but actually forced the experiment to be cancelled when they began to display violent tendencies towards the 'captives.'

Violence is an innate part of our species. Civilisation, and social integration, has made it

unacceptable. But that does not mean that we - any of us - have completely eliminated it from our character.

From a personal point of view, I deplore violence of any kind. It genuinely sickens me - whatever the motivation for it may be. But I am also

aware of the fact that our civilisation still has a long way to travel before anyone can truthfully say that such instincts, such deep-rooted and abominable feelings, are completely removed from our personas.

An intelligent and interesting post, I understand the suggestion that violence is innate and from studying psychology myself I know that discussion has moved on to why this violence is triggered to action in some rather that others - ie psychopathic personality traits.

The Stanford studies you mention, however , were experiments into power, where actors were

assigned roles. Again, Milgrams study showed that humans will torture another if they feel that individual responsibility is removed and that a person in power was in charge.

The situation in India was of all people being equal ( on a level ) on a bus, going some places, no roles assigned. Something triggered a pack mentality where it became " acceptable " for a group of men to violate a woman and beat her and her fiancé. Where was the bus driver I wonder? Did he join in? Was alcohol or drugs involved? People don't NORMALLY go to quite such extremes on buses that are just going some place. : (

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree most vehemently with your last paragraph, you may speak for yourself.

Whilst I maintain that within everyone is a potential killer, to kill would be in extreme circumstances, for example; to defend one's family or one's self, to protect someone who is being tortured/raped etc., or to have to kill in the event of war and even to kill to acquire food, however to kill after or during a sexual act of any kind is not within all of us at all and doesn't need guarding against.

Or were you referring to mankind in

general/collectively?

I understand exactly what you're saying and I agree - partly. The feelings I described are buried so deeply inside most of us that the chances are that we will never be aware of them.

Having said that, however, do you really think that the people who manned the concentration camps and performed all kinds of disgusting and degrading acts on the inmates were members of a different species? Or that those who did the

same in Japanese POW camps or, more recently in Bosnia and Kosovo were lesser human beings? The truth is that, had it not been for the exceptional circumstances in which they - and probably many thousands of others - found themselves in, they would have gone through

their lives just like you or I; completely unaware of the depravity that their normally dormant genetic heritage made them capable of.

I have seen an experiment in which 'ordinary' men were placed in control of others - a situation of prisoners and warders - which resulted in those playing the part of the custodians undergoing a frightening change in their personalities. They became not only domineering and contemptuous of those playing the part of prisoners (who, incidentally, became subservient to the point where they were

sometimes admitting 'crimes' they'd only imagined), but actually forced the experiment to be cancelled when they began to display violent tendencies towards the 'captives.'

Violence is an innate part of our species. Civilisation, and social integration, has made it

unacceptable. But that does not mean that we - any of us - have completely eliminated it from our character.

From a personal point of view, I deplore violence of any kind. It genuinely sickens me - whatever the motivation for it may be. But I am also

aware of the fact that our civilisation still has a long way to travel before anyone can truthfully say that such instincts, such deep-rooted and abominable feelings, are completely removed from our personas.

An intelligent and interesting post, I understand the suggestion that violence is innate and from studying psychology myself I know that discussion has moved on to why this violence is triggered to action in some rather that others - ie psychopathic personality traits.

The Stanford studies you mention, however , were experiments into power, where actors were

assigned roles. Again, Milgrams study showed that humans will torture another if they feel that individual responsibility is removed and that a person in power was in charge.

The situation in India was of all people being equal ( on a level ) on a bus, going some places, no roles assigned. Something triggered a pack mentality where it became " acceptable " for a group of men to violate a woman and beat her and her fiancé. Where was the bus driver I wonder? Did he join in? Was alcohol or drugs involved? People don't NORMALLY go to quite such extremes on buses that are just going some place. : (

Story line sort of reminds me of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the point at which she inserts and kicks it in as hard as possible made me cringe!

Into herself or another woman? Haven't seen it

I'd also assume this was punishment for something?

I'm afraid that, without wishing to be contentious, I have to agree with LDV. To people like ourselves this may seem an act beyond comprehension - something that no sane human being could possibly be involved in. It - quite naturally - arouses feelings of anger, of repulsion and utter despair.

Unfortunately though, this is the kind of thing that happens when the thin veneer of civilisation is torn away to reveal the beast that lies within. The reason that human beings made it to the top of the animal kingdom is not simply that they were the cleverest or the most adaptable - but also because they were the most fearsome and ruthless.

This kind of what, to most of us, appears a sick perversion, is something that has probably happened many times and gone unreported in times of war and, if you think that ridiculous, just remember the kind of tortures that Ian Brady and Myra Hindley inflicted on their helpless young victims - purely for sexual gratification.

I agree that the men who were responsible for this disgusting act should forfeit their lives - anything less would be intolerable and would send out the wrong message to those who regard other people as potential playthings on which to slake their lust - but we have to be careful to recognise that they, and this incident, are far from unique.

The potential to commit acts such as this may be dormant inside us, but that potential is the heritage of our ancestors and we have to constantly guard against it ever seeking to emerge.

Or were you referring to mankind in general/collectively?

I have unfortunately been in the position of having to protect myself by the 'kill or be killed' syndrome, (although I didn't manage to kill anyone) does that make me a monster too?

I can honestly say it is at the forefront of my life knowing that I was able to do that, once you have tipped over that edge there is no going back! That doesn't mean that could 'kill' just anyone now!

Knowing what I know and being where I've been simply makes me - me!

As for the scumbags whom carried out this attack death is simply just to easy - put them in a women's prison and see how they like the domination of attacks!

Archived