High Speed Trains Between London And The North

Blade Runner

I really like this as both a quick way of getting from Manchester and other northern towns, to London and the benefits it will likely bring to the areas connected outside London. Not to mention the boost to the economy caused by just actually building it.

Is this the start of the end of the North South Divide?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21221828

Rolling out fibre around the country would have been better IMO.

I keep hearing that and this is a genuine question to you as a Internet businessman, why?

As far as I know and I may be well off the mark but I don't ever see much profit from the big web based company's, Facebook for example, their shares are down a lot last time I looked.

Is the net' not mostly used for media downloads, personal entertainment?

For business use. I listen to BBC Radio Cornwall & Devon, many complain that there isn't enough bandwidth for them to be able to work from rural / remote areas, by comparison the IOM is good.

I was looking at a glorious house in mid-Cornwall - pathetic internet, another around 5 miles from Penzance had fibre.

I could live with poor internet, but the fibre offering makes a big difference.

Sod social media.

For business use. I listen to BBC Radio Cornwall & Devon, many complain that there isn't enough bandwidth for them to be able to work from rural / remote areas, by comparison the IOM is good.

I was looking at a glorious house in mid-Cornwall - pathetic internet, another around 5 miles from Penzance had fibre.

I could live with poor internet, but the fibre offering makes a big difference.

Sod social media.

I agree that the island is very well served and it makes you forget how bad it can be elsewhere. A mate of mine moved to Wales a few years ago, an idyllic cottage in the hills with land around and a river at the bottom of the back field.

I tried to send him a Fax, no joy, his phone line was just laid along the ground beside the road to his area, not buried and it went past several electric fences the local farmers used.

You could hear the tick-tick noise from the electric fences, on the phone when you talked to him. He contacted the local telecom company but they basically said tough, unless he wanted to pay the cost of burying the phone line to his small village! Internet was unusable too. We do have it good here telecom wise.

I agree that the island is very well served and it makes you forget how bad it can be elsewhere.

I just came close to buying a house in Cornwall - the only show-stopper was a *maximum* internet speed of 256 KB/s and no plans for fibre or any other solutions withing the next two years.

Lovely house, lovely area, great pub nearby.

Carry on searching...

I really like this as both a quick way of getting from Manchester and other northern towns, to London and the benefits it will likely bring to the areas connected outside London. Not to mention the boost to the economy caused by just actually building it.

I think this rail link is complete and utter bs.

You only have think about who actually NEEDS 60 minutes clipped off a north/south journey to realise it's a white elephant worthy of Tynpotwald itself!

http://www.eutelsat.com/products/broadband-tooway.html

Not sure what the latency would do running remote SDR though - maybe able to buffer it somehow???

I agree that the island is very well served and it makes you forget how bad it can be elsewhere.

I just came close to buying a house in Cornwall - the only show-stopper was a *maximum* internet speed of 256 KB/s and no plans for fibre or any other solutions withing the next two years.

Lovely house, lovely area, great pub nearby.

Carry on searching...

http://www.eutelsat....and-tooway.html

Not sure what the latency would do running remote SDR though - maybe able to buffer it somehow???

Nice idea - there's another house I'm looking at which is in rural Devon, evelated and his fibre into the house. IOM price would be ~ 850k asking price is 499k.

http://www.eutelsat....and-tooway.html

Nice idea - there's another house I'm looking at which is in rural Devon, evelated and his fibre into the house. IOM price would be ~ 850k asking price is 499k.

£850k just for the fibre ??? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I think this rail link is complete and utter bs.

You only have think about who actually NEEDS 60 minutes clipped off a north/south journey to realise it's a white elephant worthy of Tynpotwald itself!

I don't suppose anyone NEEDS 60 minutes cut from the journey time but it would be progress and useful for a lot of people.

Just like when we got trains in the first place and they were much faster than stage coaches to get from town to town, same with the motorways.

As Cameron and his mates have been saying, if our grandparents and great grandparents did not build the UKs infrastructure years ago we would be a lot worse off now.

Do you live in a place that HS1/2 will pass through by any chance? tongue.png

The fact that trains have wifi actually make speed on the trains much less important.

Generally, people travelling on trains for business will be white collar types who work behind a computer.

For the most part, they can work as easily on the train as in the office now.

Ten years ago they couldn't and, in terms of work, time spent on a train was wasted time.

The chances are that by the time HS2 is built in the mid 2030s, they'll be able to do a lot more work on the train.

These business types just have to schedule their meetings with others around the time that the train arrives in London or Manchester/Leeds/Birmingham.

For those that need to get to London quickly for whatever reason, there's always the plane.

The prices are not that far different now and won't be until the UK/EU take climate change seriously and taxes them out of business.

Archived