Tynwald 19Th February 2013

Donald Trumps

Looking at the Order Paper for today's business (which bizarrely never mentions the Budget, which is always produced like a rabbit out of a hat at the last moment), it's interesting to compare it with the Order Paper for the equivalent Tynwald from a year ago.

That link is to Order Paper #1. The budget is on Order Paper #2 (page six of that doc)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Careful now, Manx Taxis is a registered company. You mean Isle of Man taxi drivers of course, I would say the majority aren't Manx.

If a taxi driver refuses a fare they must have a reason, it's against the rules that I abide by.

A taxi from Ramsey to PSM at the weekend, jump in sir but as it's after midnight I will require £50 in my hand before I turn a wheel. If the fare comes out cheaper you will receive change, however, I will stop when it reaches that amount and expect you to give me a further amount that I estimate will cover the fare at your destination.

Thank you, that will be £49.70p, you want the change? certainly, will 5p pieces be okay? stuart.gif

I think that Eurocars are going to be the most badly affected business along Peel Road. They will have huge operating costs and new customers are going to be deterred from visiting, just like Walton's, McDonald's and the Milestone I fear for the security of their staff.

What the government gives with one hand it takes away with the other. While they create a few jobs on road repairs they dispense with others in retail.

While retail is in the doldrums, is this a good time to be doing this work? Maybe it should be postponed to allow businesses to plan and recover some reserves?

If the roadworks are done as I would imagine they would be, one lane at a time, then traffic will still be able to travel along Peel Road in both directions too. I really think in those circumstances, it won't be doing any harm whatsoever to Eurocars, buying a car is not something you decide to do because you were passing, you will have made a conscious decision well before and then if you want a Renault or whatever they sell go there to see the cars. Same with second hand cars, look on their website and then decide to visit.

As for McDonald's, it may hurt hem a bit but again buying food is not something you "window shop" for, you realise you are hungry, decide to buy a takeaway and then go to the establishment that you fancy. I really cant see McD's serving many people that driving past happen to see them and then think "Oh I want food"

Even Walton's, it is again somewhere you go after deciding you want to by something that they sell, you don't just drive past and think "Oh I need a 156" 3d telly for the spare room" thumbsup.gif

If the roadworks are done as I would imagine they would be, one lane at a time, then traffic will still be able to travel along Peel Road in both directions too. I really think in those circumstances cant see it doing any harm whatsoever to Eurocars, buying a car is not something you decide to do because you were passing, you will have made a conscious decision well before and then if you want a Renault or whatever they sell go there to see the cars. Same with second hand cars, look on their website and then decide to visit.

Also, who would buy a french car anyway?

Thank you, that will be £49.70p, you want the change? certainly, will 5p pieces be okay? stuart.gif

5p coins are only legal tender upto debts of £5

£49.70 from £50 the change is only 30p

what was your point?

I think that Eurocars are going to be the most badly affected business along Peel Road. They will have huge operating costs and new customers are going to be deterred from visiting, just like Walton's, McDonald's and the Milestone I fear for the security of their staff.

What the government gives with one hand it takes away with the other. While they create a few jobs on road repairs they dispense with others in retail.

While retail is in the doldrums, is this a good time to be doing this work? Maybe it should be postponed to allow businesses to plan and recover some reserves?

If the roadworks are done as I would imagine they would be, one lane at a time, then traffic will still be able to travel along Peel Road in both directions too. I really think in those circumstances cant see it doing any harm whatsoever to Eurocars, buying a car is not something you decide to do because you were passing, you will have made a conscious decision well before and then if you want a Renault or whatever they sell go there to see the cars. Same with second hand cars, look on their website and then decide to visit.

As for McDonald's, it may hurt hem a bit but again buying food is not something you "window shop" for, you realise you are hungry, decide to buy a takeaway and then go to the establishment that you fancy. I really cant see McD's serving many people that driving past happen to see them and then think "Oh I want food"

Even Walton's, it is again somewhere you go after deciding you want to by something that they sell, you don't just drive past and think "Oh I need a 156" 3d telly for the spare room" thumbsup.gif

good job B&Q is not on peel road then, people wander round there like zombies and pc world has gone the same, it's like some sort of weekend club, just somewhere to go cos they buggerall else to do.

5p coins are only legal tender upto debts of £5

£49.70 from £50 the change is only 30p

what was your point?

Sorry - didn't read the original post properly.... Just assumed it was a rant about high fares and thought the line was suggesting paying the £49.70 in 5p coins

good job B&Q is not on peel road then, people wander round there like zombies and pc world has gone the same, it's like some sort of weekend club, just somewhere to go cos they buggerall else to do.

That all sounds good on paper but people actually take ease of access and convenience into consideration when looking to purchase. Their competitors will benefit from the inconvenience.

Looking at the Order Paper for today's business (which bizarrely never mentions the Budget, which is always produced like a rabbit out of a hat at the last moment), it's interesting to compare it with the Order Paper for the equivalent Tynwald from a year ago.

That link is to Order Paper #1. The budget is on Order Paper #2 (page six of that doc)

It's there now. It wasn't when I put my comment up before the Budget speech started. Hence the rabbit out of a hat remark.

It's a silly bit of ritual, based on the belief that we are just like the big boys (ie the UK) and have to keep the details under wraps lest the international markets go mad with excitement. Actually the main purpose is to keep everything under the control of the civil service and away from the eyes of the public and (most) politicians for as long as possible. Then we can all be presented with a fait-accompli that can't be altered.

Also, who would buy a french car anyway?

I know, especially as their cars are apparently, like their WW2 tanks..........

1 forward gear and 5 reverse...................

Archived