Lady Of Mann Watercolour - John Nicholson - Original - Iom Steam Packet

ste

John Hobson Nicholson (1911-1988) Watercolour “Lady of Mann”.

This piece painted circa 1977 is an original commissioned for my family with no other reproductions.

Signed, titled and framed. 16 x 22 ins.

Excellent condition - no marks on frame or glass

Excellent collectors item for anyone interested in Steam Packet or Isle of Man memorabilia.

See http://cgi.ebay.co.u...em=200898640709 for pics and more details

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen,

Please update this thread if the painting doesn't sell. I'm not in the UK at the moment but should be in a few months and would be very tempted to buy, I just have too much going on at the moment.

Surely someone will take it though - I remember the gallery in Strand Street (?) which was full of his paintings. I seem to remember the museum in Douglas collecting them at one time.

The 'Old' Lady of Mann brings back many memories

You should keep it and have some copies made for sale. The guy in the art shop in Nelson Street will be able to advise. I bought a framed copy of a 19thC painting of Peel Harbour from him at £120 and he told me that is how to make money out of local original art. Anything by JHN has got to be bankable, particularly a family commissioned piece like that. There are bound to be local Steam Packet enthusiasts who would buy a framed copy.

You should keep it and have some copies made for sale. The guy in the art shop in Nelson Street will be able to advise. I bought a framed copy of a 19thC painting of Peel Harbour from him at £120 and he told me that is how to make money out of local original art. Anything by JHN has got to be bankable, particularly a family commissioned piece like that. There are bound to be local Steam Packet enthusiasts who would buy a framed copy.

is there a copyright implication to that ?

Yes and I don't know who has the copyright - the commissioner, the painter or the steamie which is why a chat with the guy is Nelson Street may be useful.

In general law it depends on the purchase contract (of course, Manx law could be different). Were you to pop into the gallery and buy an original then unless stated otherwise the copyright usually belongs to the artist. So the original contract is important. Another thing to do is look at the painting, there may be a copyright statement / notice on the back somewhere.

(Nicholson was clued up, he made a lot of money on the Island despite being an average but obviously competent artist.)

Yes and I don't know who has the copyright - the commissioner, the painter or the steamie which is why a chat with the guy is Nelson Street may be useful.

I have bought original paintings and have been advised that the copyright had been sold prior to the purchase. I have also been involved (as I photographed original art work) in a civil action when the purchaser of the original work sold on the copyright (saying that they were the artist).

Archived