Nexus Bar - Down On Douglas Prom

Twonky

Just thought I'd give a quick shout-out for this place, me and the chaps have been there twice for lunch and both times it's been absolutely excellent.

http://www.nexus-bar.com/

One of us has been of an evening with his missus and gone for the sushi platter for two and said it was fab. Personally I don't dig on raw fish but each to their own I guess.

Really nice place, excellent service, and the food is great - the menu is fairly limited but they seem to have the philosophy of doing a small number of things very well. There's a pasta dish, a pie dish, a fish dish, a burger choice and so on - definitely enough for everyone to find something they like and not the usual pub fare. (Plus paninis and baguettes and a choice of platters for two.)

Yesterday for example we had Hot Thai Beef Salads, Manx Beef Burger, Thai Fishcakes, and two Steak & Guinness pies - and the choice of the dishes was completely different from the last time we went. Freshly cooked lovely chips too.

The previous time we went they were doing lamb burgers, one of the guys asked for mint sauce and the waiter said they didn't have any on hand, but returned about three minutes later with a freshly made mint sauce that the chef had just knocked up.

Only worry is we were the only people in there between about 12pm and 1pm, which isn't great for a Friday lunchtime.

Give it a try! It's our lunch venue of choice now.

It's all very reasonable, for a main course and a drink you're looking at about £10 per person.

The platters (which feed two) are all between £15 and £20.

I'd say they're basically pub prices (give or take a pound or two) but restaurant quality food and service.

For five of us on Friday the bill was £52 and that included a couple of sides, the previous time six of us went and it was just under £60.

Off the top of my head starters are in the £3-£5 range, mains are around the £8-£12 range, with more expensive options such as steaks and what have you on there.

We've paid the same or more for a lunch at Jak's (which I really don't rate food wise at all).

• 1 month later...

Silly location for a place like that. Can't see it ever getting busy enough to sustain it when their competitors (Courthouse, Bar George, Artisan) are all situated around each other towards the other end of town and people can walk between the three on a wet Saturday night.

Silly location for a place like that. Can't see it ever getting busy enough to sustain it when their competitors (Courthouse, Bar George, Artisan) are all situated around each other towards the other end of town and people can walk between the three on a wet Saturday night.

Bordello, JAR Bar, Coast, Amber, JAKS are all situated near Nexus hardly a lack of competition more like too much.

Bordello, JAR Bar, Coast, Amber, JAKS are all situated near Nexus hardly a lack of competition more like too much.

Take Jaks out of the equation as they cater to a completely different crowd but have a ganders at how busy all the ones you mentioned above are from 9-12pm on a Saturday night compared to the three I mentioned.

Go on then, what crowd does Jacks cater for? whistling.gif

Pop in and have a look.

Agree with that if you stop in the bar, but down in the restaurant it is different.

Their chips are very hard to equal never mind beat by any of the others.

Their steak is as good as you can get for the price ranges, and when the first floor restaurant opens I think they will be known as THE rocks steakery.

• 2 months later...

A few of us went to Nexus Bar for the first time a few days ago, attracted by the 'sushi' banner outside. At about 7pm, it was empty. Very friendly staff, striking decor, good location (next to Paparazzi). Food service oddly ends at eight, unless you book a later slot in advance.

Food: fish & chips generally voted good, although the chips were a bit soggy. Thai fish cakes pretty good. Sushi platter a bit disappointing, not much fish, no variety... just some tired tuna, too much rice pro rata.

Fair value wine list.

Verdict overall, we would go again... but hope it's a bit livelier. Zero people watching.

So it's not really a Sushi bar then?

They offer a sushi platter, for two with a vodka shot, or for one without. The only fish was tuna when we went... and not enough to put it on the endangered list. A bit of salmon would have doubled the variety.

I suggest you try the fish and chips!

Archived