Please Explain The Rule Rationale

Stu Peters

Sorry Ans, but the original thread is locked so I can't post there.

I understand the Classifieds rules, but I can't see the logic of not allowing people to post (for example) price comparisons/comments (and some of the banter is quite funny and easy enough to skip through).

I've bought a few things from here on a whim, which means it's usually a non-essential or something impulsive where I'm not sure what the 'going rate' for it is. If someone advertises a Zeitgeist 3200 Widget for £100 secondhand and someone else posts that you can buy them new for £80, I don't see the harm. The seller has the option to hold at the higher price, but surely this kind of thing is a good use of a forum members who often know more about stuff than I do. Similarly, why not allow posts that say 'nice units but they are prone to overheat and cause fires' could be a good warning to a buyer.

ATEOTD sellers have the option to use other free alternatives if they don't want to risk adverse comments.

Interesting point. I suppose it is after all 'manxforum' classifieds and anyone advertising here needs to take on board all the highs and lows that that entails.

I've bought quite a few small things from here and always been happy but if I was spending a bit more I would value comments from other forum members.

I don't imagine there'd be much problem with the examples Stu gave - other than the exercising of posters' 'wit' about the articles offered for sale. I don't think genuine, and helpful, comments would necessarily attract much opprobrium.

I feel 'helpful' posts and opinions are a help - does it have the scrotum bracket? - for instance - can help others, but quips and pointless posts just makes it another chat area, blocks up the board for other posters sales. It has got a little out of hand IMHO of late. It shouldn't be up to the mods to keep the area clear, some general forum etiquette on this area should help keep things tidy.

I can see how it could be annoying if you were seriously trying to sell something and people post comments saying how shite your item is or how you're a prat for buying that one rather than an alternative. That said, this isn't Manx Ads and other forums don't seem to mind a bit of chat on the classifieds. Hell, some items deserve ridicule, surely that's ok? ;-)

Sorry Ans, but the original thread is locked so I can't post there.

I understand the Classifieds rules, but I can't see the logic of not allowing people to post (for example) price comparisons/comments (and some of the banter is quite funny and easy enough to skip through).

I've bought a few things from here on a whim, which means it's usually a non-essential or something impulsive where I'm not sure what the 'going rate' for it is. If someone advertises a Zeitgeist 3200 Widget for £100 secondhand and someone else posts that you can buy them new for £80, I don't see the harm. The seller has the option to hold at the higher price, but surely this kind of thing is a good use of a forum members who often know more about stuff than I do. Similarly, why not allow posts that say 'nice units but they are prone to overheat and cause fires' could be a good warning to a buyer.

ATEOTD sellers have the option to use other free alternatives if they don't want to risk adverse comments.

Ans posted the 'warning' on the same day I was re-instated, after a three day ban, so I assume his comments were directed at me.

He took offence at me suggesting to an advertiser it was time to move on. The advertiser had made dozens of what I think are wind-up adverts over the past week or so.

I'll probably get the total ban now for daring to comment on the fat fucks actions

but quips and pointless posts just makes it another chat area, blocks up the board for other posters sales. It has got a little out of hand IMHO of late. It shouldn't be up to the mods to keep the area clear, some general forum etiquette on this area should help keep things tidy.

Well this is it, if we could trust the users to only post helpful information in these threads then we'd be much more relaxed about it. However, history has shown that we can't. We don't actually monitor any section of the forum these days, we rely soley on user reports and complaints so generally anything that gets removed has been complained about. There's probably a bunch of stuff in adverts that doesn't get deleted and should, but unless we're told about it, we don't see it.

Ans posted the 'warning' on the same day I was re-instated, after a three day ban, so I assume his comments were directed at me.

He took offence at me suggesting to an advertiser it was time to move on. The advertiser had made dozens of what I think are wind-up adverts over the past week or so.

You may think you're some sort of victim here, but someone reported your post and it was removed. Since then we've had multiple other reports about other posts within the section so I felt it was worth a reminder of the rules. It wasn't directed specifically at you.

However, "suggesting to an advertiser it was time to move on" is vastly different from what you actually wrote, which was "Helen dear, it's time to f-ck off". Now, I didn't personally take any offence to that (I didn't see it, as explained above) but another forum member took it upon themselves to report it and I'm sorry that you feel it's acceptable for you to post that way towards another user, the correct course of action if you disagreed with the volume of posts was to use the report post function yourself. That user had already been spoken to as it happens, and we have asked them to collate their adverts into groups rather than one advert per item and had you done the grown up thing and engaged with us properly to express your displeasure, we could have told you that. But you didn't, and you thought it was acceptable to tell them to fuck off.

Normally, this would have either brought about a warning or possibly a 24hr suspension, but when I went to look at your log, what do I see? A previous 24h ban for "Trolling adverts" so it would appear that you've already had your first shot across the bow so I tripled it to 72 hours. Not sure what other course of action you would think appropriate in these circumstances. Even if we relaxed the rules to allow discussion, this would never extend to what you said and you need to take a good hard look at yourself.

I'll probably get the total ban now for daring to comment on the fat fucks actions

If you poke the fat fuck bear.....

Helen is a very nice woman who is simply cleaning out old stuff from her house prior to selling said house and did not deserve to be abused by you.

Regardless of how many adverts she puts up, the forum has a section for private individuals to sell things and that does not have an item limit.

And yes, it was me that reported you, chin chin.

I apologise to Helen for my poor tastee post on here. I thought it was a spam fest trying to get peoples email address's, as there have been a few of those recently (not on here). We are told to be so careful on t'net nowadays and I was getting pissed off with all the junk calls/emails that seem to be flooding in recently, that I insulted an innocent lady just selling a few items on here.

Again, Sorry Helen.

I apologise to Helen for my poor tastee post on here. I thought it was a spam fest trying to get peoples email address's, as there have been a few of those recently (not on here). We are told to be so careful on t'net nowadays and I was getting pissed off with all the junk calls/emails that seem to be flooding in recently, that I insulted an innocent lady just selling a few items on here.

Again, Sorry Helen.

Since she hasn't been back for a while, I would hope that you've also apologised directly with a PM.

And yes, it was me that reported you, chin chin.

Why doesn't that surprise me, with your history of being a sly prick - sneaking around photographing people for your personal vendetta for example. And like a true coward, bottling it when you were about to get your arse kicked.

If someone else had posted what I did I would have chuckled, and perhaps looked to see what the lady had been blasting the forum with. Sense of humour is not generic.

Archived