Drugs In Schools

Jack from Laxey

Although not entirely topical, there has been a recent initiative to keep drugs out of schools.

Why can't the Government/Police/Authorities spend a little more effort keeping drugs out of the Island in the first place? Surely it can't be THAT difficult.

Same goes for the bigger Island of Great England too. They have recently spouted about 'getting tough' on drugs in schools. Well, how's about getting tough on Mr Big importing the stuff?

I read a post on one of the festival forums recently about the war on drugs.....seems the drugs are winning. Howard Marks said something along the lines of the war on drugs being a civil war, I have to agree with him.

I'm fairly sure drungs in schools isn't a new fad....

No, it's not that difficult provided you, as the taxpayer, are prepared to pay for 24/7 monitoring of the IOM (and UK) coastline by any necessary means.

IE: US style Coastgaurd Helicopter / RAF Nimrod / Police

It all comes down to cost and whilst i'm all for giving these drug barons a bloody nose, the price of the logistics to do so are prohibitive for such a small island(s).

Why can't the Government/Police/Authorities spend a little more effort keeping drugs out of the Island in the first place? Surely it can't be THAT difficult.

Same goes for the bigger Island of Great England too.

There's two very good reasons for this: supply and demand...

I recommend you get yourself a copy of "Grass", an awesome and eye-opening movie about the US government's fight against drugs over the years - the figures shown there will amaze you - IMDB Page about Grass - and hopefully help to put things into perspective...

And anyway, it shouldn't be the job of the police to fight drugs - the use of them should be prevented in the first place, before any teenager gets the idea to use them - things like D.A.R.E. (Drug Abuse Resistance Education - long name for a good thing..) should be supported more - then you wouldn't need to waste police time with chasing after little pushers - time, which they could use to chase yobs or kiddi-fiddlers...

The answer is painfully simple - it really is.

With the exception of new antibiotics, legalise all drugs and simply let market forces and nature take its course.

It is simply impossible to win a war against drugs. Can’t be done. Give up, and let nature meter out the justice to those who decide to use them. The attraction would soon fade once people saw the death toll rise amongst their peers.

And that is not a ‘wind-up’ nor is it a ‘troll’. I honestly believe it is what should be done.

It won’t, of course. The thought of competition from easy access to other forms of soporific than alcohol would have vested interests up in arms.

The Drug Squad paid a visit to one of the local schools quite recently and carried out a search.

Only the headmaster (who invited them) and a couple of staff knew before hand and the police didn't find anything. (I'm not sure if they checked the staffroom).

Good result, me thinks.

Archived