Boston Marathon Explosion(S)

cheesypeas

The surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings has been charged with using a weapon of mass destruction, the US Department of Justice says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22257451

Now if only troops found a couple of pressure cookers in Iraq, the 45 minutes to activate weapons of mass destruction would have been valid.

(A nice lamb shank in about 45 minutes with a pressure cooker, too.)

I think they came close....they came across a couple George Foreman Grills

And the Ricky Hatton toaster...which is less dangerous as it only does two rounds.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange how Mr Voight lost his left leg at the thigh bone, and Mr Bauman lost his below the knee.

But what with all those make up techniques nowadays there's no doubt they are the same person, hey.

The critical thinking ability of some people ...

Terrible for all involved but it happens every day on a greater scale in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan. I guess it doesn't matter when the victims aren't really white and have funny names. Their family histories don't get trotted out with cuddly pictures of their lives.

Heard very little about the 'Chinese National' who was killed? There again she was yellow skinned and there are more than a billion more where she came from.

That is absolutely the worst thing I have ever seen on the internet (with exception of the hot tub ones ofc) how could anyone make such a horrible claim? People are mad. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure those pictures are of different people, gawd, the more I think about it, the more horrible that collage becomes. I shall stop thinking about this now I am quite happy not to live in America smile.png

Terrible for all involved but it happens every day on a greater scale in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan. I guess it doesn't matter when the victims aren't really white and have funny names. Their family histories don't get trotted out with cuddly pictures of their lives.

Heard very little about the 'Chinese National' who was killed? There again she was yellow skinned and there are more than a billion more where she came from.

Except Iraqis, Syrians and Afghans are white.

Except Iraqis, Syrians and Afghans are white.

Off white, not Caucasian I meant.

Think you might be looking in the wrong places there, Max.

There are 43,000 news articles for 吕令子 if you type it into google news. If you use pinyin "Lu Lingzi" and so restrict it to non-chinese sites there are 44,000 with 106 News Sources using her name in the last 24 hours.

I don't think the fact that Sina News has 214 stories about Lu, and only 7 about Krsytle Campbell is really a sign racism. We are all a bit parochial.

I do agree though that the US's huge and obsessive reaction to these three deaths does give an indication of just how self centred it is as a country and how it is extremely partial to how it views deaths - thousands of deaths from criminal dysfunction ignored, the hundreds of thousands of deaths caused by its wars of choice shrugged away.

Understanding the US mindset is almost as difficult as understanding the Chinese ... and on that note the fact that the Chinese Communist Party Controlled newspaper China Daily put this post on its website is indicative of how complicated the relationship between the US and China:

Some Chinese use tragedies in the US to vent frustrations with American international policies. When my USC student friend read an online rant posted by a student at a famous Chinese university saying the Boston bombings were deserved because the "American empire" kills foreigners in Afghanistan every day, she confronted her fellow countryman. She commented: "How can you be so indifferent and make this incomparable and inhumane comparison? All human beings are equal. How can you disregard the death of innocent people because of the war caused by very complicated reasons?"

Perhaps my friend learned lessons in the US far beyond what she studied in the classroom. Or perhaps the US draws a particular type of Chinese and foreign student, one more open-minded and tolerant. Whatever the reason for my friend's kindheartedness, countless Chinese students like her are mourning on campuses this week and they have witnessed something irreplaceable in their time here. Out of tragedy in the US, they see that there is unprecedented solidarity and hope.

An inclusiveness of mourning Chinese citizens and the students who flock to the US would not only bolster faith in American institutions and society, but also remind Americans our tragedies are no longer confined within our borders. When we rebuild, we must do so aware that the world is watching. And that they're hoping for a stronger, more peaceful America, too.

Rightly or wrongly It doesn't matter because in the places you mention it happens on a daily basis and is expected we get desensitised to it, a bomb going off at the end of a marathon where people are running a lot raising money for charity is not expected and is seen as shocking.

I do agree though that the US's huge and obsessive reaction to these three deaths does give an indication of just how self centred it is as a country and how it is extremely partial to how it views deaths - thousands of deaths from criminal dysfunction ignored, the hundreds of thousands of deaths caused by its wars of choice shrugged away.

Understanding the US mindset is almost as difficult as understanding the Chinese ...

I have worked extensively in the US of A and one thing that always strikes me is just how patriotic they are. In the UK in particular this is often over-looked and given no credence at all. They are also quite religious.

See below some marines praying over the body of a comrade just killed. What does this make you think of them as a nation?

post-156-0-28051700-1366886400_thumb.jpg

Understanding the US mindset is almost as difficult as understanding the Chinese ...

I have worked extensively in the US of A and one thing that always strikes me is just how patriotic they are. In the UK in particular this is often over-looked and given no credence at all. They are also quite religious.

See below some marines praying over the body of a comrade just killed. What does this make you think of them as a nation?

attachicon.gifPraying_Comrade.jpg

Unfortunately, their patriotism is a hair's breadth from nationalism and much of their religion is fundamentalist

I like the way a great number of normal everyday Americans are unapologetically religious, and the way it's part of their family life and their political outlook. I like traditional values.

In the UK, religion is very different. It's not mainstream. There seem to be 5 types of people who attend church: 1) old people; 2) lunatics; 3) fake people who go there for social connections; 4) poor kids who get forced to attend by their parents; and 5) a few normal people who aren't old.

I like the way a great number of normal everyday Americans are unapologetically religious, and the way it's part of their family life and their political outlook. I like traditional values.

In the UK, religion is very different. It's not mainstream. There seem to be 5 types of people who attend church: 1) old people; 2) lunatics; 3) fake people who go there for social connections; 4) poor kids who get forced to attend by their parents; and 5) a few normal people who aren't old.

I assume you go as the number 2 attendee biggrin.png

I assume you go as the number 2 attendee biggrin.png

I wouldn't be caught dead in a church.

Archived