"victim" Of "bedroom Tax" Commits Suicide

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Selfish? Perhaps.

But with so many people unable to save for pensions, and even those who are saving having their savings with low interest rapidly overtaken by inflation for the coming years, escalating fuel and food prices, high property and rental prices, and numerous people unable to pay off mortgages with capital still outstanding when they retire...I can see the suicide rate increasing quite substantially over the next 30 years for the over 55 age group.

Getting old for all too many is fast becoming a sentence of poverty, isolation and hopelessness - soon to be on a par with Victorian times.

I'm sorry heartless? Where exactly were her family in all this? I notice they were all too quick to line up for photos to be taken to go on the story?

There were options, she just chose the cowards way out.

And as someone else mentioned, that poor lorry driver will carry that event with him for the rest of his life.

But she wasn't thinking rationally. It is heartless not to recognise that and jump to judgement.

Yet she took the time to write several letters and planned the means by which she was going to kill herself.

The only victim here is the poor truck driver.

I don't believe suicide is in and of itself selfish. I do, however, think that jumping in front of a lorry is extremely selfish means by which to do it. For starters, that poor lorry driver may very well be traumatised for life and blame themselves, not to mention the possibility of being blamed by the authorities. And that's assuming there weren't other witnesses, possibly including children, who could have been present and been traumatised. There are other, less melodramatic ways of killing yourself. I'm sure I saw a statistic last year about hanging being the preferred method for women.

As for the £20, I can sympathise with how such a seemingly small sum can make all the difference in your finances when you're poor. That can be the difference between whether you eat or not.

Where exactly were her family in all this? I notice they were all too quick to line up for photos to be taken to go on the story?

And as someone else mentioned, that poor lorry driver will carry that event with him for the rest of his life.

+1

I'm with MDO on this one, both my best mate in the UK when I lived there and my Father committed suicide, my mate Lee threw himself in front of an inter city 125 and my Father did the old pipe from the exhaust trick both were very selfish acts regardless of their states of mind, I do understand why they both did it but can't agree with it.

Lee's body was mainly in five parts and his Mother had to identify him, a couple out walking their dog found my father's body out at Stapleford Woods in Lincolnshire, I appreciate that people die in all sorts of circumstances and there are some very messy ones for others to literally pick up the pieces but the act of suicide is selfish, the only way it isn't is if someone has no living relatives, no friends, no work colleagues, and commits suicide by throwing themselves into a vat of acid when no one is at work where the vat of acid is.

There must surely have been more than £20 per week to drive this woman to suicide, it may well have been a factor, indeed it may well have been the straw that broke the camel's back but there must have been other underlying factors no one of sound mind would commit suicide for that reason alone. My mate had lost his job, his Father, split up with his girlfriend and I (his very best friend had moved away) and he was on 20 years old and my Father had spent a lifetime of making one f**k up after another and not learning any lessons until it all came to a head and his choices in life caught up with him, this woman did this for £20, wtf???

Where exactly were her family in all this? I notice they were all too quick to line up for photos to be taken to go on the story?

+1

Another +1

There must surely have been more than £20 per week to drive this woman to suicide, it may well have been a factor, indeed it may well have been the straw that broke the camel's back but there must have been other underlying factors no one of sound mind would commit suicide for that reason alone. My mate had lost his job, his Father, split up with his girlfriend and I (his very best friend had moved away) and he was on 20 years old and my Father had spent a lifetime of making one f**k up after another and not learning any lessons until it all came to a head and his choices in life caught up with him, this woman did this for £20, wtf???

I can understand how a net loss of £20 per week could result in serious financial straights. If you go overdrawn every week due to the reduced disposable income, you then get fines, and eventually go further overdrawn, further owing the council, etc, etc. That's all well and good for someone who can go out and work and resolve the problem, but this lady was unable to work, and could not resolve the situation except by downsizing into cheaper accommodation. And we don't know what that might look like in the area of England where she lives -- it could mean a more urban, run-down area, with alcoholics, druggies, troublemakers, a lot of noise, and possibly much further away from her friends and relatives.

I can understand how a net loss of £20 per week could result in serious financial straights. If you go overdrawn every week due to the reduced disposable income, you then get fines, and eventually go further overdrawn, further owing the council, etc, etc. That's all well and good for someone who can go out and work and resolve the problem, but this lady was unable to work, and could not resolve the situation except by downsizing into cheaper accommodation. And we don't know what that might look like in the area of England where she lives -- it could mean a more urban, run-down area, with alcoholics, druggies, troublemakers, a lot of noise, and possibly much further away from her friends and relatives.

Did you edit the bit where you said she was elderly, or did I imagine that bit ?. She was 53 !!

The bit I thought funny was when "they" said she had burried her cats in the back garden, liked to sit there in the sun and remember them, so she should not have to leave her council house. Good reason to keep one person in a 3 or 4 bed house eh!!!

Did you edit the bit where you said she was elderly, or did I imagine that bit ?. She was 53 !!

The bit I thought funny was when "they" said she had burried her cats in the back garden, liked to sit there in the sun and remember them, so she should not have to leave her council house. Good reason to keep one person in a 3 or 4 bed house eh!!!

Yes, I did delete that, as I thought she was 83. Isn't it illegal to bury your cat in a council garden without prior permission?

Archived