Mea Has Really Got It Wrong This Time

Slim

Their manx radio advert states that you need a microwave to cook kippers without them smelling. Well that's bull! The best way to cook kippers is to 'jug' them.

Fill a tall warmed jug with kippers, stood upright on their noses, fill it with boiling water and cover it. Leave it for a few mins.

You get perfectly cooked kippers (as the water cools its impossible to over cook them), and no smell!

Ever travelled on the Ben in the morning and some lunatic/sad soul/unknowing tourist ordered Kippers for Breakfast? Christ - the whole boat knew you had them - who would ever say something like that? They must be out of their minds...

I tried microwaving them once, never again as well as the smell lingering for days the kippers spit and sort of blister a right mess. Anyone know who 'advised' the MEA on this wonderful tip?

Ever travelled on the Ben in the morning and some lunatic/sad soul/unknowing tourist ordered Kippers for Breakfast? Christ - the whole boat knew you had them - who would ever say something like that? They must be out of their minds...

If they paid Steam packet prices for them, then yes!

Ever travelled on the Ben in the morning and some lunatic/sad soul/unknowing tourist ordered Kippers for Breakfast?

Several times. It's quite funny to watch them getting embarrased with everyone looking to see what the stink is. Also, on a rough crossing the smell of kippers sends most nauseous travellers instantly over the edge and reaching for the bags!

When I was catering for one of the main Hotels over here a couple of years back, I was requested to put them in the Microwave to cook, because they don't dry out as much, keep the juices and more flavour of the kippers. They do smell less if cooked in a microwave and are cling wrapped and they are definately more tender.

But the micro does need cleaned with stong cleaning fluids afterwards

All you need is a pair of kippers, salt, lemon juice, a bit of butter, a table spoon of water (creates steam effect in micro) cling wrap and cook them for 1 & 1/2mins until the spine pulls away easily in one piece.

I kid you not, the hotel residents went mad for them!!

Archived