Australia - Almost As Backward As Islam?

Endovelicus

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10148550/Julia-Gillard-Australian-blokes-have-done-their-country-down.html

I have a lot of Australian friends and even the males were reluctantly admitting that Julia Gillard was turning out to be the best prime minister they could ever remember. To see her defeated, by an almost entirely sexist campaign led by the utterly repulsive Kevin Rudd has come as a shock to those who were able to view things from a neutral standpoint.

I know that on a largely male-dominated forum such as this my views are likely to be flamed but, to be honest, I couldn't give a flying XXXX.

Gillard is no Thatcher - she's a very able and dedicated politician whose ability far exceeds that of her male rivals and it's a tragedy for Australia that the 'lads' have succeeded in emptying out someone who knew what they were doing in favour of a moron.

Sexism is alive and well and flourishing in the land down under.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10148550/Julia-Gillard-Australian-blokes-have-done-their-country-down.html

I have a lot of Australian friends and even the males were reluctantly admitting that Julia Gillard was turning out to be the best prime minister they could ever remember. To see her defeated, by an almost entirely sexist campaign led by the utterly repulsive Kevin Rudd has come as a shock to those who were able to view things from a neutral standpoint.

I know that on a largely male-dominated forum such as this my views are likely to be flamed but, to be honest, I couldn't give a flying XXXX.

Gillard is no Thatcher - she's a very able and dedicated politician whose ability far exceeds that of her male rivals and it's a tragedy for Australia that the 'lads' have succeeded in emptying out someone who knew what they were doing in favour of a moron.

Sexism is alive and well and flourishing in the land down under.

So, they didn't vote for a woman, therefore they're sexist.

Your knowledge of international affairs is consistent with your knowledge on most subjects - and I can't think of a worse insult to offer than that.

She was, quite simply, the victim of an almost entirely sexist campaign. No one could really fault her performance as PM, so they attacked her on the grounds that she was female.

Your knowledge of international affairs is consistent with your knowledge on most subjects - and I can't think of a worse insult to offer than that.

She was, quite simply, the victim of an almost entirely sexist campaign. No one could really fault her performance as PM, so they attacked her on the grounds that she was female.

Your thread title implies that the country of Australia is backward. Just because her rivals put out sexist propaganda, doesn't mean the electorate were motivated by sexism when they voted.

Its amazing what the looming of an election and expected electoral wipe out can do to any politician and in particular ideas of openess, transparency, equality or even who the better politician.

They fear a wipe out, but think there will be less of one under Rudd than Gillard.

Wonder when we might see type of action same vis a vis Cameron and Boris in the UK.

And rather than being sexist isnt it just sauce for the goose, was she sexist when she ousted Rudd?

Having lived in Australia for a year I'd say it probably is a little less progressive with regard to gender equality than this part of the world, but I don't think they're even close to places like Saudi, Iran and Afghanistan, which the title of the thread tends to suggest.

I agree the title was a bit 'over the top' and I apologise for that. But, another question, is she the first leader in the so-called 'civilised west' to admit publically to being an atheist?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr1QPmB5RJY

David Miliband has, if he counts?

Surely Castro was, he was a Communist and by definition a Communist is an Athiest?

Archived