Summerland 40Th Anniversary

irishone

Just watched the ITV coverage, brought me to tears, TBH. 

But please be clear, Summerland is not a forgotten tragedy.  Those of us who witnessed it, and the aftermath, will never, ever forget and that is the whole island's population.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 7:35 PM, Gladys said:

But please be clear, Summerland is not a forgotten tragedy.  Those of us who witnessed it, and the aftermath, will never, ever forget and that is the whole island's population.  

Granada IoM still have “The Forgotten Disaster” as their cover pic. It was never forgotten on IoM and never will be. Maybe it’s time to lay it to rest now. 

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
4 minutes ago, 2bees said:

Just watched the ITV documentary, a tough watch but I’m glad I watched it. I had no idea.

Terrible tragedy. 

It was tough, but it did miss the heroism and care that many locals displayed at the time, and since.  It would have been good for the programme to give a little more airtime to the effect on the island and the fact that none of us here at the time have ever forgotten. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It was tough, but it did miss the heroism and care that many locals displayed at the time, and since.  It would have been good for the programme to give a little more airtime to the effect on the island and the fact that none of us here at the time have ever forgotten. 

Yes I watched it too.tonight. A terrible tragedy but the strap line “ A Forgotten Disaster” is far from the truth. It is well remembered here.

Oh and the implication that the Chief Minster, having already issued an apology could overturn the judicial verdict of “ death by misadventure “ , whether you believe or not that was the right verdict.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of last paragraph
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/campaign-group-calls-for-a-fresh-inquest-into-the-summerland-fire-tragedy-681943?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1713874153

I can see no value in a fresh inquest. There are no 'lessons to learn'. No loved ones will be restored to life. There is no possibility of holding anyone accountable. It will simply transfer loads of taxpayer money to lawyers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/campaign-group-calls-for-a-fresh-inquest-into-the-summerland-fire-tragedy-681943?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1713874153

I can see no value in a fresh inquest. There are no 'lessons to learn'. No loved ones will be restored to life. There is no possibility of holding anyone accountable. It will simply transfer loads of taxpayer money to lawyers.

Agreed, and how many witnesses from the time are even still around? Can you have an inquest using ancient written testimony from people who are long dead? Genuine question! 

• Like 2

And yet as the article states, a "misadventure" verdict suggests that the victims had some culpability. Presumably for being in there at the wrong time?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

And yet as the article states, a "misadventure" verdict suggests that the victims had some culpability. Presumably for being in there at the wrong time?

Misadventure doesn't suggest any culpability on the part of the victims.  But it doesn't suggest it on anyone else's part either, despite the evidence.  But British law doesn't really like to hold anyone in authority to blame for anything.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 7:35 PM, Gladys said:

Not “forgotten” at all on the Island.

• Like 2