Summerland 40Th Anniversary

irishone

• 2 weeks later...

Should a sequential set of photos (not seen for almost 40 years ) of the fire from start to finish be published or would you consider it to be insensitive. So many people have no idea of this disaster visually . We learn from history lest we repeat our past mistakes.

• Like 3

Should a sequential set of photos (not seen for almost 40 years ) of the fire from start to finish be published or would you consider it to be insensitive. So many people have no idea of this disaster visually . We learn from history lest we repeat our past mistakes.

Personally, I wouldn't consider it insensitive. It would remind people of the extent and ferocity of the fire, I think many people under 50/60 have probably forgotten that or are unaware.

It is indeed part of the history we should learn from.

• Like 2

They should be seen I think.

• Like 2

They should be seen I think.

There are lots of clips on You tube; Start with this one:

• Like 1

It would be great to see something like summer land built there! Where has all the fun for kids of all ages gone on this island? Skating, amusements,discos, play area, swimming, dancing competitions and badminton are what I remember using I struggle to find a good day out on a miserable day with my daughter! Come on somebody step up and build a complex for all ages.

Children should be out enjoying our rich and beautiful countryside, becoming one with nature, not wasting their time in buildings designed for their entertainment. They will spend enough of their adult lives wasting away in buildings. And they'll have an eternity to spend inside a box six-foot under. They should get out there and enjoy this beautiful planet.

I'm sorry but I think you missed the part where I said miserable day. Which unfortunately is for a long time on the isle of man

You've obviously not read the previous posts. You wouldn't be bleating about what constitutes a miserable day if you had.

I sympathise with the idea of a memorial garden across the whole plot, but I don't really think it is practical - who would visit it? There is a small garden down the road, and something should be put on the actual site, but not the whole site. Maybe, some sort of water feature as a memorial - a proper one, not a two bit job. I just don't think many people would use the space - there is Port Jack, Onchan Park, Summerhill all nearby. I think something for the community that will see use, but I honestly don't know what.

• Like 1

For those that are interested there's a petition on a Facebook page called Summerland Fire for the whole site to be made into a memorial garden.

Grief displays on facebook are usually akin to a cloud of starlings in the sky at dusk.

Turning the whole site into a memorial garden would be an awful idea.