Summerland 40Th Anniversary

irishone

For those that are interested there's a petition on a Facebook page called Summerland Fire for the whole site to be made into a memorial garden.

Grief displays on facebook are usually akin to a cloud of starlings in the sky at dusk.

Turning the whole site into a memorial garden would be an awful idea.

No it wouldn't. Some South African guy in Santon has put in a planning application for a 'botanical garden of global significance', including sensory garden, wildflower area to attract biodiversity, Japanese garden, water cascade etc. All that could easily be done on the Summerland site without the rather suspect additions in the planning app for an estate and associated buildings!

I agree with the thought that turning the site into a memorial garden is a bad idea. Maybe some sort of transport museum incorporating the horse trams and electric railway terminal would be appropriate. It could include the long awaited TT museum with shops and restaurants to make it a facility for locals to visit all year round?

Yes, some sort of memorial should be placed on the site but it shouldn't dominate it. After all Hillsborough and Hampden Park are still a football stadiums.

There are a lot of under used memorial gardens, like this one for example - http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/we-ought-to-make-more-use-of-memorial-garden-1-4439927

In my opinion, the island's economy needs development and regeneration and this would be the best use of Summerland.

For those that are interested there's a petition on a Facebook page called Summerland Fire for the whole site to be made into a memorial garden.

Grief displays on facebook are usually akin to a cloud of starlings in the sky at dusk.

No it wouldn't. Some South African guy in Santon has put in a planning application for a 'botanical garden of global significance', including sensory garden, wildflower area to attract biodiversity, Japanese garden, water cascade etc. All that could easily be done on the Summerland site without the rather suspect additions in the planning app for an estate and associated buildings!

I cant see why the whole site needs to be a memorial as they are trying to push. Yes, certainly some better official memorial to what happened needs to be made over and above the crappy one that they have tried to pretend doesn't exist for the last 40 years but to try to treat the whole site like Ground Zero in New York is just silly.

Why?

Why?

Because its 40 years too late for one. A proper memorial should have been done at the time, but like everything else that might have been too public or might have forced some people to admit they might have been wrong or accountable in some way and thats not the Manx government way. That was the time to do it. Now a proper memorial is the proper thing to do but the site has been a swimming pool and leisure centre for 35 years following the fire, so its not appropriate to turn the whole site into a memorial now it can't be sold commercially - people are just being influenced by ground zero which has happened since. Surely its not disrespectful to only use part of the site?

Edited by hboy

We learn from history lest we repeat our past mistakes.

Well put OM.

Leader of the Council, David Christian JP MBE would do well to take this advice.

The Corpy premises at Ballacottier are surrounded by detrius (dozens of wheelie bins and a 2000l fuel tank) contravening just about every fire precaution in the book and likely to provide excellent fuel in the event of a fire.

'Lessons learned etc...'

TBT

• Like 1

I'm really more interested in having a garden than a memorial. Buildings bore me.

Sorry i thought the point was to put it up for those who died, not you?

I'm really more interested in having a garden than a memorial. Buildings bore me.

Sorry i thought the point was to put it up for those who died, not you?

No, the point is what is best for this island.