Summerland 40Th Anniversary

irishone

The fact that nobody was ever held accountable shows those in authority at the time in a very poor light indeed.

Au contraire.

It shows the very strong bonds that exist between the authorities on our Island.

From the lowest civil servants right through to the top judge/deputy governor.

...Built firm as Barrule,

Thy Throne of Home Rule

Edited by Torry loon

The fact that nobody was ever held accountable shows those in authority at the time in a very poor light indeed.

Would much be different today in any aspect of government? Would you ever get an arrogant civil servant defying logic and common sense, consultants reports, public opinion, or safety requirements in the interests of cost cutting, or because UK or European safely legislation doesn't apply to the Isle of Man? I'm certainly thinking of bendy buses here. Unsafe, not wanted, but the disability act doesn't apply here, or the requirement to have kids wear safety belts, so bugger everyone else I'm right and this is the Isle of Man where different rules apply and all this cost cutting is being done to save public money. Then if some kid gets injured or worse the back pedalling and arse covering starts.

I think it would be different today, even in the Isle of Man, the public/consumer are much more clued up now, if a relative of yours or mine was injured or worse in a similar scenario today wouldn't you pursue those you perceive responsible through whatever legal means were available. I think 1973 was a much more innocent time and people accepted what they were told by the people in charge.

Hi The Last Bulgam Miner - yes I have seen all those - they are tame compared to what I am talking about

Yes as a victim I want to see them.Where are they?

Out of interest as someone who was there and remembers the horrific event, do you think a memorial garden is a good idea? Also would you think it would be disrespectful for a new entertainment complex to be built on the land ?

Whilst I agree that the tragic events and loss of life should never be forgotten (which I'm sure it won't), a small respectful memorial seems more fitting. The one thing that the loss has done, is to lead to far more stringent building and safety regulations to try and prevent a similar loss again, surely this is the best legacy with which to remember those who were lost/injured/physically and mentally scared.

I have different views on this as to have it just as a memorial garden with it's wide open space and lovely garden that has to be maintained by someone, regardless of all weathers and it's just over the top for me.

On the prom is a memorial statue and each year, we remember the war dead. To add a garden as lovely as it could be, just makes my skin crawl as it's like a constant memory of death and for those visitors admiring the place for it's colour and beauty, will then read on a placard somewhere of those who died in the fire and the joy they once had of the garden, then turns to sadness. Not on, just not on!

Yes I'm sorry for people's loss and can understand the pain, the anguish, of seeing horrors, hearing pitiful cry's, remembering smells, the panic, the disbelief or that of losing a friend or relative, but for this type of memorial, you have to have it more discreet, where people can reflect and share their pain in quiet solitude.

This isn't about spreading the sadness out to the many visitors as this is private and personal. By all means have a specially designed place for remembrance in a discreet place, but the land should be used and whether it's for a car park, office block or some other use, the land should look towards the future and not the past.

Regarding the memorial service last night, it was very moving. but it was disgraceful that at the conclusion, the mayor walked out without acknowledging the families of the dead. I didnt see anyone from the council or government speak to the families. They were just there to be seen and associated with an event they never were involved with.

Summerland veteran.

• Like 1

Regarding the memorial service last night, it was very moving. but it was disgraceful that at the conclusion, the mayor walked out without acknowledging the families of the dead. I didnt see anyone from the council or government speak to the families. They were just there to be seen and associated with an event they never were involved with.

Summerland veteran.

In one way, that doesn't sound well organised at all. Possibly there should have been some kind of dignified reception afterwards for the relatives and friends etc. especially those that had trevelled from afar. But there again...what can you say at such a reception/meeting? Perhaps the churches should have been the best to organise such a 'contemplation' reception afterwards?

And, it was 40 years ago. Most people involved in local politics today were themselves then only young, and in some cases not even born then.

And just some thoughts on the reality. The reality is after 40 years, as with other major events such as the sinking of the Ellan Vannin, the Winter Hill Disaster, and even the Brig Lily etc. Summerland is fading into history. Humans grieve after tragedy, but over time and a generation this tends to turn into commemoration and remembrance, with only those directly affected left with the grief and memories of the event. And perhaps, as so many of the victims were not local, the result of that is: guilt on the part of many associated with the shoddy building and resultant fire (hence the cry for a memorial), and a local community not so directly affected as had it been a local factory or school that had been affected in that way (hence the aim to move on and turn the site into something useful and move on)?

I saw one Council bloke stop at the Memorial - not sure, but think it's the one who was a fireman....suppose he could be described as a Summerland Survivor too??

Summerland veteran.

. Maybe, after all, nothing has changed in 40 years.

Edited by Torry loon

Summerland veteran.

If that is true it really is disgraceful.