Summerland 40Th Anniversary

irishone

RonnieD: I've no idea if there's any truth in this, and it's very easy (perhaps too easy ?) to believe there might be; but never, ever, trust the Manx establishment. If there is any truth in this theory, then it'll take someone with a mighty shovel to dig it up again, and it won't be anyone from the Island either. It'll have to come from outside. It might be something for the people behind the recent Facebook petition to consider.

I really do not want to bury anything, but what purpose would it serve now?

The inquiries at the time found huge failings from the design and construction (oraglass) to the way the building was managed (locked fire doors, lack of emergency training of staff). Why would establishing that it was an electrical fault rather than the accepted cause make any difference now?

I hate to bring the spectre of compensation into the equation, but did the victims or their families receive any compensation? It was at a time before the litigation culture, but some comments have made me wonder if there were any settlements made.

Gladys, there were 'successful' compensation claims. But they were indeed different days then.

Some claims were heard about 5 years later.

One woman's husband had died in the fire, she had spent two weeks in hospital on the Isle of Man and then taken to her home town by ambulance, she was plagued by horrific memories of the fire, (she was one of the last to escape), she was now unable to concentrate or work, although she had previously a good job and a happy married life. She was also claiming damages for loss of wages. [1]

In this case, the Manx advocate representing Truste House Forte Leisure Ltd and their subsidiary Summerland Ltd of Athol Street "...argued there could be no compensation for such things as grief and sorrow, financial stress and strain, or for the difficulties of adjusting to a normal life". [2]

In some ways, being on an Island it must have been useful for the authorities to not have (too many) survivors on their doorsteps. The survivors all went home. Out of sight out of mind kind of thing.

Or am I being a bit unkind?

[1] £2,359, around £10,000 in today's money

[2] quoted from Isle of Man Examiner

Edited by RonnieD

Gladys, there were 'successful' compensation claims. But they were indeed different days then.

One woman's husband had died in the fire, she had spent two weeks in hospital on the Isle of Man and then taken to her home town by ambulance, she was plagued by horrific memories of the fire, (she was one of the last to escape), she was now unable to concentrate or work, although she had previously a good job and a happy married life. She was also claiming damages for loss of wages. [1]

In this case, the Manx advocate representing Truste House Forte Leisure Ltd and their subsidiary Summerland Ltd of Athol Street "...argued there could be no compensation for such things as grief and sorrow, financial stress and strain, or for the difficulties of adjusting to a normal life". [2]

In some ways, being on an Island it must have been useful for the authorities to not have (too many) survivors on their doorsteps. The survivors all went home. Out of sight out of mind kind of thing.

A bit unkind ???

No. You are being a complete twat (as usual) using others' suffering and tragedy to try to make yourself look clever or smart.

Can you, for one second, imagine what some of those who lost loved ones or were badly burned in that fire must think when they hear of or read the utter shite that you have put on here?

A bit unkind ???

No. You are being a complete twat (as usual) using others' suffering and tragedy to try to make yourself look clever or smart.

Can you, for one second, imagine what some of those who lost loved ones or were badly burned in that fire must think when they hear of or read the utter shite that you have put on here?

What utter shite is that then?

He quotes from the paper at the time

Your very strong protest is strange.

• Like 1

Actually, dilligaf, I don't need to imagine. Because I know. I think you would be very, very surprised.

• Like 1

Did anybody preserve their own copy of the newspaper they bought at the time? It is quite possible that copies remain in private hands on the island.

MMTV did an interview with Geoff Cannels daughter about the Summerland fire and she has copy's of all the papers from that time that her dad had kept.

Perhaps she could offer a copy of the missing issue to the Manx Museum to fill the gap in their collection.

Does any one know if there was anyone interviewed on MMTV who had been badly burnt and or also suffered post traumatic stress? I would really like to chat with someone who went through what I did (and am still going through) I have been reading some of the press reports( from the time of the fire)- and I have been shocked by some of the things I have read!

I am surprised there wasn't a sort of victim support group set up, even informally. The service in August would have been a suitable occasion to bring people together but unfortunately Douglas Corporation hadn't organised anything for after the service. Which was a pity,

It seems every week various groups of people visit the mayor's parlour for a get together and newspaper photo shoot. I suppose it depends on who the mayor is, but if it means drinkie poos and a buffet, Douglas Corporation will hold a do in the mayor's parlour for the opening of a crisp bag.

I am surprised there wasn't a sort of victim support group set up, even informally. The service in August would have been a suitable occasion to bring people together but unfortunately Douglas Corporation hadn't organised anything for after the service. Which was a pity,

It seems every week various groups of people visit the mayor's parlour for a get together and newspaper photo shoot. I suppose it depends on who the mayor is, but if it means drinkie poos and a buffet, Douglas Corporation will hold a do in the mayor's parlour for the opening of a crisp bag.

Exactly!! I sat beside a lady who lost family members and she had to ring up to get an invite-after hearing about the memorial indirectly.It seems that many people may not have known about it. There was to have been a reception afterwards, either in the stables or the council offices but it did not happen. Many of the people there were elderly it has been 40 YEARS!! they had come a long way and were very distressed, it was incredibly emotional. Mr.Christian and the lady Mayor disappeared straight after the service. It is interesting to read that this is not how things are normally done.Quite frankly it was embarrassing! Interesting too that some of the local people standing outside felt that they couldn't intrude! Their support was and is greatly appreciated I enjoyed chatting with them.

Edited by irishone

• 2 weeks later...