Summerland 40Th Anniversary

irishone

• 2 weeks later...

I see the appeal to sign the petition raises its head again in the paper today, "Surge in Support for the Summerland Petition, claiming now many have signed the petition for nothing to be built on the Summerland site, for it to be a complete memorial, after an article in the Liverpool Echo many in the North West are signing, the last claim a month or so back, was the world wide support for the petition. The article continues that over 200? have signed the online petition.

I have complete Respect for those who lost their lives, and as I said and many others did, following the recent ceremony for the opening of the Memorial Monuments & Garden Area, which are very respectful. I am at a loss why we can't move on and always remember, but no way should the whole Summerland site be designated as a memorial forever!

The Petition is going to be presented to Infrastructure Minister David Cretne on the 1st November, I really hope he will show respect to the petitioners, and many signatures will be ones who sign any petition to express sympathy to any appeal, but tell them we have shown Respect and we will Never Forget Them!

On the IOM Today website for some reason, they are not allowing comments? or not on my laptop.

I think it may be because the memorial isn't at the actual site.

I would suggest that for such a petition to have any credibility and chance of success then the phrase "We, the undersigned, demand the Isle of Man Government......" should not be used. They don't like being demanded to, our lot.

I would suggest that for such a petition to have any credibility and chance of success then the phrase "We, the undersigned, demand the Isle of Man Government......" should not be used. They don't like being demanded to, our lot.

I hope whatever they decide to put there is for the benefit of the ordinary person not to make the rich richer. Surely something more in keeping with the Island's rich heritage would be more appropriate than modern apartments!

Initially I felt that I did not have a right to voice an opinion on what the site was used for as I did not live in Douglas (this was despite what happened to me) However I am now in possession of knowlege which I did not previously have and that enabled me to make the decision to support the petition.I am a bit too long in the tooth to believe in fairy stories!

I have now accepted that some people are totally without feeling for the plight of their fellow man.

Summerland was a great concept which went wrong. Why? Money?? Where would the money from the sale of the site go?

Kiss goodbye to your petition, Cretney has already made his move. No leisure facility - I'm guessing it will be 'luxury apartments'.

Developer found for Summerland

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/developer-found-for-summerland-1-6167628

I am sure Mr Cretney will do what he feels is best for the people of Douglas...

Not quite.

Mr Cretney will do what is best for him, which roughly translates as what is best for the people of his constituency. He knows how to fight for his supporters, and will pull rank over the Douglas Corporation or whatever it takes to keep his voters happy. That is how he has been in Tynwald all these years.

In this case there will be few of his voters affected and so he will absolutely toe the Council of Ministers' line.