Summerland 40Th Anniversary

irishone

Approaching the 50th anniversary this year and there have been strong words in UK Parliament, as reported on Energy FM this morning.

A UK MP is calling for a formal apology from Alf, including an admission that cost-cutting by Govt. contributed to the tragedy and for the misadventure verdicts on the victims to be ruled incorrect.

Screenshot_20230713-072750_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Non-Believer
Add screenshot

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Approaching the 50th anniversary this year and there have been strong words in UK Parliament, as reported on Energy FM this morning.

A UK MP is calling for a formal apology from Alf, including an admission that cost-cutting by Govt. contributed to the tragedy and for the misadventure verdicts on the victims to be ruled incorrect.

Screenshot_20230713-072750_Chrome.jpg

this is becoming a thing , applying modern/current legislation ( and woke thinking ) to historical events and wanting heads to roll for things that  back then were normal/accepted practice.  where we are now is based on what we learned from back then.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, WTF said:

this is becoming a thing , applying modern/current legislation ( and woke thinking ) to historical events and wanting heads to roll for things that  back then were normal/accepted practice.  where we are now is based on what we learned from back then.

Yep, exactly.  What would an inquiry into something 50 years ago achieve, other than costing loads and keeping CS busy for a bit?  Actually, writing and digesting that, I feel it's likely it will happen. 

With the obvious current lack of accountability within Govt and CS, it's abundantly clear there would be no rolling heads if this had happened yesterday, yet alone 50 years ago.  I'd imagine anyone who could be deemed responsible is more than likely dead now too. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 3

No one in government is going to stand up and say this for fear of the almost certain backlash. And so we’ll throw ridiculous amounts of money at something that will serve no useful purpose just because a few people have made it their crusade. 

It was really really bad. It really shouldn’t have happened. It did. People died. Lessons WERE actually learned. Apologies were made. 

I can’t help but feel that was enough. 

Edited by Roxanne
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Numbnuts said:

Not just our Government and CS. UK government have still not sorted out Grenfell flats and other buildings which still have the defective cladding. 

I’m tempted to say well let them get their own houses in order before they start pressuring us into enquiries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

There would surely be massive legal and, no doubt, compensation cost implications if the results of the original inquiry were to be overturned?

And...as has been mentioned most of those involved in the building process are now likely dead or dribbling in a nursing home somewhere - likely unable to defend themselves or pay any price for a reversed decision.

Apologising for your ancestors seems to be becoming a more frequent request. Lessons were learned and rules changed - but that was then, this is now, and sometimes the past should just stay there IMO.

It will be interesting to see how Alf handles this one. Personally, I would not reopen this Pandora's box and would keep to the ceremony and what was learned. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Like the Dandara built housing complex in Peel that's being pulled down after thirty years.

You’re comparing the demolition of Dandara’s houses to the Summerland disaster? 

I know you’re not one for debate and will do anything to prove your point but really? 

• Like 1

Up to a point it's the same thing.

Big rich boys in the building game having clout over authority to save them costs  and give them lots more loverly money, money, money.