Summerland 40Th Anniversary

irishone

I just hope that whatever happens with the site is not a load more flats or another concrete monstrosity like the "new" Summerland was.

High quality flats with a memorial garden in front would work, but the cost of stabilising the cliff will be high - I think it's very young rock.

Who in their right mind would want to to live in a flat in that place? There's no diplomatic way to say this so I'll just say it: the place is totally haunted.

Edited by Thomas Jefferson
  • Like 1

It'd be a great site for a National Railway Museum, to allow some of the long term stored artifacts of the Islands glorious railway history to be displayed and publically accessible for the first time in many years.

Well, yes, the one in Port Erin is miles away. It's not like you could get there by train or anything.

That's a Steam Railway Museum.

At present there is nothing for the M.E.R, the S.M.R and very little in the memory of the M.N.R.

Another lost system poorly represented is the Douglas Head Marine Drive Tramway. At least a Cable Car survives at Jurby.

It would be great to see something like summer land built there! Where has all the fun for kids of all ages gone on this island? Skating, amusements,discos, play area, swimming, dancing competitions and badminton are what I remember using I struggle to find a good day out on a miserable day with my daughter! Come on somebody step up and build a complex for all ages.

It would be great to see something like summer land built there! Where has all the fun for kids of all ages gone on this island? Skating, amusements,discos, play area, swimming, dancing competitions and badminton are what I remember using I struggle to find a good day out on a miserable day with my daughter! Come on somebody step up and build a complex for all ages.

Children should be out enjoying our rich and beautiful countryside, becoming one with nature, not wasting their time in buildings designed for their entertainment. They will spend enough of their adult lives wasting away in buildings. And they'll have an eternity to spend inside a box six-foot under. They should get out there and enjoy this beautiful planet.

• Like 1

Children should be out enjoying our rich and beautiful countryside, becoming one with nature, not wasting their time in buildings designed for their entertainment. They will spend enough of their adult lives wasting away in buildings. And they'll have an eternity to spend inside a box six-foot under. They should get out there and enjoy this beautiful planet.

I'm sorry but I think you missed the part where I said miserable day. Which unfortunately is for a long time on the isle of man

I'm sorry but I think you missed the part where I said miserable day. Which unfortunately is for a long time on the isle of man

What miserable days? I used to play out in the countryside regardless of the weather. Kids these days need to man up and stop being such wimps. A bit of rain isn't going to do you any harm. I remember many a fine day out playing manhunt in the drenching rain. It builds character.

Are those back in the days when Punch and Judy were on the beach, entertainment everywhere and white city was open. I don't disagree with the outdoor adventures etc but health and safety laws also stop kids doing what we used to do climbing trees and making dens etc they simply don't have as much freedom as we used to

I am finding myself agreeing with TJ a lot nowadays.crying.gif

My nephew has not 5 minutes ago gone on his bike with his mates to go out in the countryside and guess what? He's not wearing a helmet.......oh no, he might fall off it and get a bruise! Or catch pollen in the countryside and get a runny nose! Proof positive that we need a building for them to be safe in from the big bad world!

What miserable days? I used to play out in the countryside regardless of the weather. Kids these days need to man up and stop being such wimps. A bit of rain isn't going to do you any harm.

it seems to have caused a considerable amount of brain damage in your case, though.

Are those back in the days when Punch and Judy were on the beach, entertainment everywhere and white city was open. I don't disagree with the outdoor adventures etc but health and safety laws also stop kids doing what we used to do climbing trees and making dens etc they simply don't have as much freedom as we used to

Health and Safety is much misunderstood, it does not stop anyone doing anything if you first way up the risks and take reasonably practical measures to reduce them. It is also mostly involving people in the workplace, not kids out and about in their own time.

I am finding myself agreeing with TJ a lot nowadays.crying.gif

My nephew has not 5 minutes ago gone on his bike with his mates to go out in the countryside and guess what? He's not wearing a helmet.......oh no, he might fall off it and get a bruise! Or catch pollen in the countryside and get a runny nose! Proof positive that we need a building for them to be safe in from the big bad world!

I too spent my youth out in the country doing all sorts of "dangerous" stuff, I dont think modern children are any less risk adverse or really any more molly coddled than my generation were but they now have computers and video games.

Thinking back if I was given the choice of playing cowboys and Indians in the local forest with my mates and we played it "hard" using real air pistols! Or playing with them on another planet with guns that could blow up houses it would be a close call.

Oh and I really think your nephew should be wearing a helmet, they are very light and cheap these days, its just a sensible precaution and will not stop him enjoying himself. I did not wear a helmet in my day but that was because you could not buy them easily, different times things evolve.

Head injury's are nasty things, I dont see the reason to take needless risks, you can still get the buzz with a helmet and be just that little bit safer.