Summerland 40Th Anniversary

irishone

I'm sure I remember "Summerland Sam" getting bundled over and jumped on during one Douglas Carnival. 1983? Being dressed in a big, spherical foam suit he was pretty much helpless (but also pretty impervious to damage). It was very funny

If the site is haunted how is it not included in the ghost tours/walks? And are there no reports of sightings or funny goings on?

Because the ghost tours are just a joke. If they included a genuinely haunted site which was the site of such a horrific and emotionally sensitive tragedy which occurred not all that long ago, it would be completely insensitive.

• Like 1

It'd be a great site for a National Railway Museum, to allow some of the long term stored artifacts of the Islands glorious railway history to be displayed and publically accessible for the first time in many years.

How you can read the heartbreaking stories on here then glibly suggest the site should be used as a railway museum is beyond me. Nothing should be built there except a beautiful memorial garden.

• Like 1

It'd be a great site for a National Railway Museum, to allow some of the long term stored artifacts of the Islands glorious railway history to be displayed and publically accessible for the first time in many years.

How you can read the heartbreaking stories on here then glibly suggest the site should be used as a railway museum is beyond me. Nothing should be built there except a beautiful memorial garden.

As someone who was closely involved on the night of the fire, I completely agree Manannan. To mind my, that would be the decent thing to do.

• Like 1

I agree. It's unbelievable!

I think the suggestion was not meant to offend anyone or take away from the tragedy of the fire but was a genuine suggestion for how the site could be used in future. In fairness the location does make sense for such a use. Surely it would be much worse if the site was used for more flats or commercial buildings?

I suggested earlier that it would be good to hear from the survivors and the families of those who were killed to hear their views on what, if anything, should replace Summerland.

There is an interesting discussion on Facebook about Summerland. Manx Nostalgia

One contributor, who says she was working in Summerland on the night: I have a very clear and concise memory of that night and it's very different from what's being written

Also: In fact virtually nothing I read in the 'In depth' review carried out by Dr Phillips is true.

Which is worrying.

Edited by Torry loon

One contributor, who says she was working in Summerland on the night: I have a very clear and concise memory of that night and it's very different from what's being written

Also: In fact virtually nothing I read in the 'In depth' review carried out by Dr Phillips is true.

Which is worrying.

I had a look and I'm not sure what it is they're disagreeing about?

Which is worrying.

I didn't know about the facebook page-must take a look!

I didn't know about the facebook page-must take a look!

You have to scroll down the page a bit. There's a photo of the site during the demolition.

Also, one of the posters there has created a page dedicated to the subject:

https://www.facebook.com/SummerlandFire

Edited by Thomas Jefferson

Me and the lads were in the pool the afternoon of the fire. We used to walk down from Willaston through the fields every Saturday.

My mother was a nurse, and has told me that on the night of the fire, the queue for folks wanting to donate blood stretched from Nobles to (almost) Rosemount !!

I used to think Summerland was ace. Do you remember the giant inflatable they had that you climbed inside. Basically a huge bouncy castle that was enclosed.

Bitter sweet memories.

Is it a bit late to suggest nothing gets built there? Didn't the 'new' Summerland get built on the site after the fire?

IO