Iom Courier/carrier For 'my Hermes'.

hagar the horrible

These cheaper than chips services are driven by the rise of web ordering. They work by paying the lowest fee to whoever will take it in a race to the bottom so that companies can offer "free" or very cheap delivery. As Collinsmeister said, the fee does not cover the cost of guaranteed quick individual delivery, so if there is nothing going to that area, you wait. I believe the way the Amazon super saver delivery works is that they throw the stuff into a trailer and when there is enough for that particular area, that's when it leaves. Some of these companies are also into the new wonder of the age, zero hours contracts, so we should remember when we patronise these outfits that as well as all of the creative accounting and tax avoiding practices they indulge in, we are also advocating working conditions that leave a lot to be desired. See http://www.channel4.com/news/anger-at-amazon-working-conditions

"Thursday 01 August 2013 Business
Anger at Amazon working conditions

Former workers at an Amazon warehouse complain of timed toilet breaks, punishments for talking and zero-hour contracts in an exclusive Channel 4 News investigation.

Channel 4 News spoke to a dozen ex-employees at Amazon's massive packing warehouse in Rugeley, east Midlands, who were angry at how the internet sales giant treated them.

They said Amazon made them work long hours with minimal breaks, and laid off temporary staff to avoid giving them the same benefits and rights as permanent workers.

The staff claimed their movements were monitored by GPS trackers, and say they were only given 30 minutes for lunch in a ten-hour shift - 20 minutes of which were spent walking to and from the canteen.

Does this story affect you? If so get in touch with us: news@channel4.com

Workers were searched for stolen goods at airport-style security checkpoints before going into the canteen.

The employer allegedly issued penalty points to workers - for talking to colleagues, taking sick leave, or even spending too long in the bathroom – on a "three strikes and you're out" basis.

'No job security' The staff claim that the firm uses so-called zero hours contracts extensively, which means those staff have no job security and are forced to make themselves available for work with no guarantee they will be offered a shift on a particular day.

One former agency manager also alleges that Amazon tried to avoid paying out hundreds of pounds in accrued holiday pay to agency staff by instructing agency representatives not to inform employees that it was owed to them. Andy Kingsley, who says he used to work for the recruitment agency Randstad inside the Rugeley warehouse, told Channel 4 News: "I think it was very underhand and devious to tell people not to claim money that they'd earned. "It was left down to the agency reps to instruct the associates as to what their next step was."

I certainly could not sleep well at night if I "employed" people under those conditions.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

My Hermes up in Ramsey is delivered by a nice lady in a Citroen Berlingo, but has been delivered by a chap in a white estate before now.

As far as I'm aware, MIC have the contract to bring over the stuff for Hermes, then the couriers collect it from MIC and deliver it on when they feel like it.

From my experience, the Ramsey lady has been pretty reliable, I usually get parcels the day after they go out for delivery according to the hermes site. Of course, the hermes site is slow, clunky and evil. Of course, with all the Lithiyummy battery stuff at the post office really being pushed now, myhermes seems to take on all laptop battery shipments, instead of Royal Mail who are usually pretty good.

My experience of Hermes deliveries is that the delivery agent posts false information on the Hermes tracking website and then deliver when it is convenient to themselves.

Examples are 1) Delivered, according to the website................then arrives the following day.

2) Unable to deliver, 3 attempts................when the house was occupied, all day and the porch was open..........Delivered the following day.

Reputable companies, eg. Next, John Lewis and Debenhams are using this firm.

The customer should advise them if the delivery company is devaluing their reputation

The delivery agents are payed peanuts and manipulate the system to maximise their earnings.

If you cannot work for a firm and earn an honest living without fiddling the system.

Is that firm worth working for?

Here's the timeline on my stuff, I guess it may be delivered today.

Date Time Status 08/08/2013 04:14 Out For Delivery 08/08/2013 00:37 Processed at Depot 07/08/2013 22:57 Receipt at Depot 07/08/2013 08:05 Receipt at Hub 06/08/2013 17:43 Sent to myhermes central hub 06/08/2013 15:31 Arrived at Depot 05/08/2013 17:06 Customer Sent via ParcelShop 04/08/2013 23:36 Order Generated

I often find this useful for what's hot and what's not for business services.

Quite an interesting read on MyHermes which I confess I'd never heard of before this thread came along.

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=194659&page=5

Notice how they always come up with some fancy spin to cover up the fact that it really is crap. "Lifestyle Courier" (mugs wanted) LOL

Some shitty businesses there are nowadays in terms of quality, customer service, employment conditions or all three.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

Didn't arrive yesterday, if I was in any hurry to receive the goods or if I was paying the carriage costs I would be getting slightly pissed off by now.

If you were ina hurry you would have surely purchased from somewhere that charges a realistic price for delivery.

If you buy from a website that doesn't charge you, and then in turn pays the courier they use a stupidly small amount to fulfil the delivery, don't be surprised if it takes a long time/never turns up.

• Like 1

Didn't arrive yesterday, if I was in any hurry to receive the goods or if I was paying the carriage costs I would be getting slightly pissed off by now.

If you were ina hurry you would have surely purchased from somewhere that charges a realistic price for delivery.

If you buy from a website that doesn't charge you, and then in turn pays the courier they use a stupidly small amount to fulfil the delivery, don't be surprised if it takes a long time/never turns up.

I said in my previous post that I am in no hurry, the item is an Ebay purchase from a private individual, listed as collection only from Oxford, he offered to pay the carriage charge via Hermes, how could I refuse, two parcels, weight over 15 kilos, would have cost me £30+ via Parcelforce.

• 1 year later...