Iom Courier/carrier For 'my Hermes'.

hagar the horrible

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Just had a solar panel delivered by Hermes. On time, in good order, no problems. Can't say I've ever had any probs. with them. Fingers crossed eh?

I guess that it's off-topic but I'd love to know more about your solar project.

Quick resume. Two 100 watt solar panels charging a bank of old batteries that power a 2000 watt inverter. The inverter powers my workshop, lights, bandsaw, drill battery charging, grinder etc. It's not quite powerful enough to power the welder and trips out. The other benefit is if we get a power cut it can easily power two freezers and a few lights, even in the winter. It is also quiet unlike the generator. 

The other solar system is in the campervan, a small half amp panel to keep the engine battery charged whilst parked up and a 2 amp panel to keep the domestic battery charged.

The workshop system is mounted on the shed roof but experimentation has them 35 degrees off vertical.

Hope that helps!

Edited by doc.fixit
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

Quick resume. Two 100 watt solar panels charging a bank of old batteries that power a 20000 watt inverter. The inverter powers my workshop, lights, bandsaw, drill battery charging, grinder etc. It's not quite powerful enough to power the welder and trips out. The other benefit is if we get a power cut it can easily power two freezers and a few lights, even in the winter. It is also quiet unlike the generator. 

The other solar system is in the campervan, a small half amp panel to keep the engine battery charged whilst parked up and a 2 amp panel to keep the domestic battery charged.

The workshop system is mounted on the shed roof but experimentation has them 35 degrees off vertical.

Hope that helps!

Pure sine wave or modified doc?

PS is that really a 20,000w inverter?

Edited by finlo

18 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I wanted to ask that too!

I had a 2500 in the van (for my nutribullet) 😆

I'm just imagining how many batteries I would need for 20 000watts. 😀

With that setup I wouldn't have thought a pure sine was worth the extra but I'm champing at the but to hear back from the Doc.

No it shouldn't be 20000 watt,should be 2000w. well spotted. Nice set up on your van. My son in San Francisco has a similar set up on his van. ( the same as you) but he's  a computer person so everything on the van is computerised, air temp, humidity, lighting, how long the kettle boils and sock smell test.:o....totally beyond me and dare I say unecessary? Still him and his missus are very, very computer persons, they may even have been absorbed into a system and they are really holograms!

BTW. Did you get round to planting the spuds? Mine are just emerging, two lovely little leaves sticking through the soil in a bemused fashion and blinking in the sunlight! lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

Well spotted that man, it should have said 2000 watt. and it says its pure sine wave, thinking of if I have to use electronic stuff on it.

You have to be very careful with electronic stuff, I plugged my shaver charger into a cheap modified sine wave inverter only to be met with lots of pops and bangs and an alarming amount of smoke!

• Like 1

You surely do. I got the grand kids 1/4 size tractor and jeep out today after their winter hibernation, blew the tyres up and put the batteries on. After about half an hour, POOF, both sets of controllers up in smoke. Dunno why. The main triac blown on both of them. I built the things about three years ago so I suppose they have done reasonably well considering the full bore, drag starts that they have been subject to over the years. (Started by their dad when number one grandson kept beating him around the garden). I'll have to think of a better, simple system, maybe back to the old ways with no electronics?

• 3 months later...

O oh, I spoke too soon. How on Earth do I get Hermes to pick up an Amazon parcel?

I downloaded a return form from Amazon but how do I get them to collect it? The Hermes web site and their 'phone system just take you round in circles with no satisfactory outcome, closely followed by the Amazon equivalent.

Do I just wait for a pick up or is there an actual person that I can ask to call?

It's rather a big parcel otherwise I would just accept a return charge and take it to the post office.

There isn’t anyone you can phone.

Iom Courier manifests ( lists of what to deliver/pick up ) seem to run 2 to several days behind.

If it’s big then it may be Manx Independent.

There is a an FB group Parcel Deliveries Isle Of Man.

you’ll need to give your street and post code. One of the couriers may respond.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, Malcolm Watson said:

I want to return an item to Amazon and have been told to go to the nearest Hermes returns shop the the barcode supplied. However the Hermes webpage says there is no such thing.

You contact Amazon/the seller and point out Hermes doesn’t have a drop off shop/collection point on Island. You’ll need a label with bar code for collection by a Hermes driver or a pre paid label for you to drop off at the post office 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...