Xbox Media Player

Cret

Am trying to setup my xbox to use mediacenter to access stuff on this PC but everytime I try to access a shared folder it comes up with 'access denied'.

I'm running XP pro, and the shares on the machine seems to be set ok as my other pc on the network can access them with no probs.

I'm guessing it's something I've done in the config file (can't remember it's name off the top of me head), but I've tried just about every variation I can think of for the bookmarks like using PC name/IP address, password/no password, secure/easy SMB, is there an overall IP address or gateway or something I need in this file? Last time I had this working was on a crossover cable and now it's through a hub/router. Can see the share folders but not access the contents.

Any suggestions welcome and I'm sure it's going to be some dumbass obvious mistake....

To give a bit more info - I've setup a shared folder on my other PC and the XBox can access the files on that no problem.

I've tried setting up an identical file with the share permissions set the same on this machine but it keeps giving me the same access denied error. It must be something to do with the sharing permissions/user rights etc or something on this machine but buggered if I can figure out what!

Turned out that there was a setting in explorer, tool, options, view (I think) that was right at the bottom of the list for enable simple file sharing and this was not selected.

Archived