Laptop

wrighty

Hadn't thought about putting Linux on it - perhaps I'll do that instead, and completely wipe Windows off it. Is it easy enough to do?

Very easy with something like an Ubuntu boot cd/USB. You can even try it as a live boot first without nuking windows.

Linux won't magically make it faster though

Hadn't thought about putting Linux on it - perhaps I'll do that instead, and completely wipe Windows off it. Is it easy enough to do?

Very easy with something like an Ubuntu boot cd/USB. You can even try it as a live boot first without nuking windows.

Linux won't magically make it faster though

Download the Xubuntu or Lubuntu ISO file. Pop it in and go. You can have a good play with it.

It won't magically make the hardware faster, but it's much more lightweight than a dog like Vista.

Doing it now! Managed to install Ubuntu last night alongside Vista, and after much fiddling about this morning have managed to create a bootable USB stick and am doing it again, this time wiping Vista off completely. Will probably keep the machine for a bit now - perhaps one of the kids will use it.

Doing it now! Managed to install Ubuntu last night alongside Vista, and after much fiddling about this morning have managed to create a bootable USB stick and am doing it again, this time wiping Vista off completely. Will probably keep the machine for a bit now - perhaps one of the kids will use it.

good luck with that, I tried to palm my kids of with an old laptop with linux, they did not like it. After all the same hardware will have the same problems with video playback etc regardless of os.

Archived