Summerland Site For "commemorative Garden"-Yea Or Nay?

irishone

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

The site was rebuilt and used for years. Why didn't the great and the good of that time not build a memorial then?

Why are football matches still played at Hillsborough, Valley Parade, or Heysel?

Why are they building at ground zero?

If you think about it people have died all over the place, we don't turn the Island in to a giant memorial ground. The TT course could be a memorial way only to be driven on at funereal pace.

And instead of a school on the old Nobles site, let's have a memorial garden, after all more people will have died there than anywhere else on the Island.

What happened was tragic, but there is a memorial, let's not turn one end of our main town's best feature into a permanent mausoleum.

20 metres is hardly a huge distance. The memorial that is now in place is more than sufficient.

As for a garden, who would maintain it? Douglas Corporation since it was their building at the time? And does anyone honestly believe that it wouldn't be vandalised in exactly the same way that so many other open spaces have been?

Sorry, but I honestly believe the support for another memorial would be pretty sparse.

20 metres is hardly a huge distance. The memorial that is now in place is more than sufficient.

As for a garden, who would maintain it? Douglas Corporation since it was their building at the time? And does anyone honestly believe that it wouldn't be vandalised in exactly the same way that so many other open spaces have been?

Sorry, but I honestly believe the support for another memorial would be pretty sparse.

I reckon we should rebuild the original Victorian Derby Castle complex (with some nice gardens). I think it would really add to the "vintage railway" experience and it would look pretty.

No, definitely not! What we have is adequate and respectful.

We should really have our long awaited Motorsport and Transport museum on the site tied in with the horse tram and MER terminus. Include a conference centre, restaurant, cinema and function venue and we have a winner!

I reckon we should rebuild the original Victorian Derby Castle complex (with some nice gardens). I think it would really add to the "vintage railway" experience and it would look pretty.

As long as the building were used for the public then I would agree with that idea.

No, definitely not! What we have is adequate and respectful.

We should really have our long awaited Motorsport and Transport museum on the site tied in with the horse tram and MER terminus. Include a conference centre, restaurant, cinema and function venue and we have a winner!

This island is up to its neck in empty conference rooms.

Archived