Summerland Site For "commemorative Garden"-Yea Or Nay?

irishone

"Band-wagon" politician accompanying petition.......don;t recall him being present at unveiling of (perfectly tasteful and adequate) memorial - or at any of the annual memorial services at St George's.......come to think of it no other politicians at those either.....

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let it go!

I was an eleven year old kid playing on the fields alongside Pulrose shops on the day of the fire.

It was a beautiful late summers evening and even now 40 odd years later I remember the big plume of black smoke rising above Ballakermeen High School and being so happy that I would not have to go to school the next day.

The following days were horrific as the reality sunk in as people realised what had actually happened.

Most Manx people(And others) know the story , we don't need a memorial garden,we remember and we wont forget.

God bless

Misguided idea. Tragic what happened. Using that reasoning, we'd never be able to build anything anywhere where anything tragic happened. That would rule out the entire Somme and Ypres regions of France and Belgium, just for starters. The site was already re-built on after the fire, so a bit pointless waxing melancholic about it now. Waste of time and emotional energy now.

Why didn't those who wanted something to replace it over the last 40 years just buy the bloody site when they had the chance and take ownership of it? Oh no, back to the money thing again!

Should have asked those 2,000 signatories for a donation and then see what the real interest is. Anyone can write names on a bit of paper and more to the point against that way, is there any proof that each and every one of them hasn't signed it twice or more under a different name?

Bottom line is why should I pay for another site because of someone's problem to accept the original as a memorial site?

Why not just rip up and tear apart the original memorial site as that site obviously means naff all to you!!!!

Jeez..... fuming!!!

Are you willing to put your real name to your comment?

Der!!! The clues in the word that says Cliff!! No more clues!

Cliff Richard? Heath Cliff? I give up sorry!! ;)

Make the area into 2 storey's of pay per 5 hour car-park at a cheaper rate than the rest with a discount card of using the horse tram along the prom.

Have the third storey as an area for a massive kids play area with child-minding facilities if needed, so that mums and dads can pop along the prom. The same area to have a basic tea/coffee area run by volunteers who want to do something with their time and meet and greet people.

Have the fourth floor as mini apartments and part of the roof area designed into a memorial garden but has to be maintained by those who want the garden in the first place.

So money made in car parking.

The horse trams get more customers

The basic cafe makes some money and people are able to meet and greet each other over a cuppa

The children have an exhausting time

Childminders make a little money whilst their mums and dads have option of watching or taking a break away

The mini apartments are reasonably priced with those overlooking the sea at a higher cost.

irish one gets the memorial garden and takes ownership of looking after it.

Just one version and I'm sure that there's people who do this for a living or even not, that could come up with something far more practical and cost efficient than mine, but for the moment, lets use it as a hypothetical working example and let's hear some alternatives or for's and against's this basic idea.

Do you mean responsibility for looking after- Clifford? Very kind of you to put me forward for the position-I must start looking around for somewhere to stay while I am over to do my caretaking duties :)

"Band-wagon" politician accompanying petition.......don;t recall him being present at unveiling of (perfectly tasteful and adequate) memorial - or at any of the annual memorial services at St George's.......come to think of it no other politicians at those either.....

Who is the politician?

Who is the politician?

Bill 'Photo-Opportunity' Henderson.

Who is the politician?

Thanks Albert.

Who is the politician?

Thanks Albert.

No problem.

The bugger pops up everywhere these days.

post-2251-0-58784800-1384184980.jpg

Who is the politician?

Thanks Albert.

No problem.

>

Who is the politician?

Thanks Albert.

No problem.

attachicon.gifBill_pop.jpg

Albert I can always depend on you to cheer me up when I am having a bad day! :)

attachicon.gifBill_pop.jpg

Archived