Summerland Site For "commemorative Garden"-Yea Or Nay?

irishone

"Band-wagon" politician accompanying petition.......don;t recall him being present at unveiling of (perfectly tasteful and adequate) memorial - or at any of the annual memorial services at St George's.......come to think of it no other politicians at those either.....

Wonder why he has jumped on the "band wagon" now-any contact details? (Interested to find out his motivation)

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

irishone/TJ, I would not support another memorial garden and would like to see something else covering an area that is an eyesore and a sore reminder to a tragedy that I would personally prefer to keep my thoughts hidden inside me.

i do not want to argue over remembering the dead or any injustice that some people have, but I too agree with Gladys and I personally do not want to be reminded of those dead as it somehow seems a bit creepy to me.

(regards your question irishone post 122) The forums give an opportunity for most people to hide behind fictitious names and are able to say more than they would normally and to me, allows a person to have more freedom of speech.

The word creepy would take on a whole new meaning for you Manxy-if you had the nocturnal visitations that I have with regard to the site. The latest is an elderly lady with short grey hair (yes I know most elderly ladies have similar hairstyles) She is of slim build and touches the back of her head as she has pain there. She is wearing an unusual necklace and tells me she has come to "warn" anyone know who she is? I had a lot of premonitions etc as a child but they dimished as I got older now they are back with a vengeance. I know many people don't believe in this sort of thing-but I can tell you it exists- and it is not easy to live with.

irishone/TJ, I would not support another memorial garden and would like to see something else covering an area that is an eyesore and a sore reminder to a tragedy that I would personally prefer to keep my thoughts hidden inside me.

i do not want to argue over remembering the dead or any injustice that some people have, but I too agree with Gladys and I personally do not want to be reminded of those dead as it somehow seems a bit creepy to me.

(regards your question irishone post 122) The forums give an opportunity for most people to hide behind fictitious names and are able to say more than they would normally and to me, allows a person to have more freedom of speech.

The word creepy would take on a whole new meaning for you Manxy-if you had the nocturnal visitations that I have with regard to the site. The latest is an elderly lady with short grey hair (yes I know most elderly ladies have similar hairstyles) She is of slim build and touches the back of her head as she has pain there. She is wearing an unusual necklace and tells me she has come to "warn" anyone know who she is? I had a lot of premonitions etc as a child but they dimished as I got older now they are back with a vengeance. I know many people don't believe in this sort of thing-but I can tell you it exists- and it is not easy to live with.

I too have visions. People in white coats come and take you away, ha ha, hee hee, to the funny farm where life is beautiful etc. etc. This is getting very boring now. The garden is NOT going to happen, get used to it !

I too have visions. People in white coats come and take you away, ha ha, hee hee, to the funny farm where life is beautiful etc. etc. This is getting very boring now. The garden is NOT going to happen, get used to it

>

I too have visions. People in white coats come and take you away, ha ha, hee hee, to the funny farm where life is beautiful etc. etc. This is getting very boring now. The garden is NOT going to happen, get used to it !

Only boring, insecure people feel the need to make fun of others. With regard to the "garden" I think you need to read the following very carefully-the title of this thread, all the posts, any other articles whether on the internet or in the paper etc then get back to me with your findings.

To those concerned-please continue to make your nasty comments-none of while will have any effect on me. If it helps you feel better, makes you stand a little taller,feel a little more masculine- then I am happy to be of service! This forum is truly a great advertisement for the Isle of Man.

As one of those who has not - as far as I'm aware - made any nasty comment [in this thread, at least], may I simply reconfirm my view that a memorial garden is both unnecessary and inappropriate.

As others have said, I really don't believe there is any necessity for a memorial to be on the exact spot where a tragedy happened. That there should have been an appropriate one provided many years ago is beyond question, but I think the one that has been put in place ought to be enough

A couple of days ago, some aged people stood in silence on Douglas Promenade and may well have brought to mind some of their dearest friends and closest relatives who were taken from them long before their time ought to have been due. Those people didn't need to go to the battlefields in Europe, North Africa and Asia to stir loving memories - nor did they need to soar into the skies or plunge into the depths of the world's oceans. They were able to stand beside a monument and let their own minds take them to the places, scattered all around the globe, where their loved ones lie.

Surely, then, a memorial that is no more than a few yards from the site of this tragedy ought to be sufficient for those who wish to recall, and to show respect, for those who went missing from their lives on that terrible night?

Surely, the memory of the place where it happened should never be as relevant to those who still mourn, as the memory of their loved ones?

Let the memory of the building be buried beneath something that gives new life to that part of the seafront - it won't mean the events that it bore witness to are being either disrespected or forgotten.

I understood this thread was a debate, it is not entitled-I irishone insist on a commemorative garden being placed on the Summerland Site.

I made a decision to sign the petition after being provided with facts which I did not previously have. I could not do otherwise.

A couple of days ago, some aged people stood in silence on Douglas Promenade and may well have brought to mind some of their dearest friends and closest relatives who were taken from them long before their time ought to have been due. Those people didn't need to go to the battlefields in Europe, North Africa and Asia to stir loving memories - nor did they need to soar into the skies or plunge into the depths of the world's oceans. They were able to stand beside a monument and let their own minds take them to the places, scattered all around the globe, where their loved ones lie.

What a ridiculous shallow argument. What a ridiculous shallow analogy.

I don't see what is ridiculous, or shallow, about it? Please explain.

I understood this thread was a debate, it is not entitled-I irishone insist on a commemorative garden being placed on the Summerland Site.

I made a decision to sign the petition after being provided with facts which I did not previously have. I could not do otherwise.

Are you able to share those facts with us?

If you have a genuine reason for saying that, I'd really like to hear it.

If, as I strongly suspect, you're condemning it because you'd rather stamp your little foot and scream "But we MUST have a memorial garden!" then I'd rather you just fuck off!

They were able to stand beside a monument and let their own minds take them to the places, scattered all around the globe, where their loved ones lie.

I have loved ones who have died in various locations, and I remember them fondly in my mind without standing in front of a monument. I don't see the point in going mob handed to a structure and listening to generic speeches and bugle blowing.

The one that has been put together already is sufficient

As an aside, who fired a canon prematurely, in Captain Mainwaring style, at 3 minutes to 11 the other day - I pissed myself laughing but I hope nobody ......etc

Archived