Summerland Site For "commemorative Garden"-Yea Or Nay?

irishone

No, definitely not! What we have is adequate and respectful.

We should really have our long awaited Motorsport and Transport museum on the site tied in with the horse tram and MER terminus. Include a conference centre, restaurant, cinema and function venue and we have a winner!

This island is up to its neck in empty conference rooms.

Where?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We should really have our long awaited Motorsport and Transport museum on the site tied in with the horse tram and MER terminus. Include a conference centre, restaurant, cinema and function venue and we have a winner!

Where?

http://www.isleofmanconferences.im/venues/

I've just ploughed my way through this

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/Documents/college-les/gees/staff/fire-disaster-c2.pdf

There's a very great deal more than the memorialising the people who died in the Summerland fire.

There's the whole raft of bad decisions being made, incompetence at all levels before, during, and after all stages of construction, and the inappropriate and outrageous involvement by people with vested interest.

The site should be a memorial gardens, a memorial to the people who died and a constant reminder of the effects of mismanagement, misconduct, and shear incompetence of those who were involved in all aspects of this shame on our Island.

No. What we need is something to attract visitors to the area, not something depressing.

Max Power is heading along the right lines. It would be good for the Corpy and IOM Transport, as having something on that site for people to go to/from would encourage more people to use the horse trams and electric trams.

We should build a Museum of the Macabre on the Summerland site, filled with exhibitions exploring the Island's worst tragedies, including the fire, Winter Hill plane crash, Ellan Vannin sinking, Solway Harvester. That way, instead of paying due respect and moving on as a society without forgetting, we could be defined by these tragedies*.

We have a memorial and, personally, I don't think the Island will ever forget what happened. Redeveloping the site doesn't mean we don't care, and for anyone who needs a focal point, there is a memorial a short walk from the site.

*Please insert your own sarcastic tone while reading this paragraph.

Where?

Ok, they are not really what I was thinking of but point taken. This could be a multi purpose indoor exhibition centre/concert/night club/conference type venue?

This is something lacking on the island I feel.

Where?

Ok, they are not really what I was thinking of but point taken. This could be a multi purpose indoor exhibition centre/concert/night club/conference type venue?

like the former Summerland they knocked down?

We should build a Museum of the Macabre on the Summerland site, filled with exhibitions exploring the Island's worst tragedies, including the fire, Winter Hill plane crash, Ellan Vannin sinking, Solway Harvester.

The election of Geoff Corkish! You forgot the election of Geoff Corkish!

A memorial of all of the misdeeds and criminal irresponsibility along with decisions based on corruption and self interest rather than best practice would be exactly what is required.

The analysis of what was done wrong in the case of Summerland should be a mark of Cain for the whole Island. A memorial should be the replacement for Summerland, a memorial that is not just about the names of the victims, it should name the guilty and incompetent and the corrupt.

It would be a pretty big memorial though..

Where?

like the former Summerland they knocked down?

A bit like that yes, but different.

Archived