Mercedes Benz

Cliff

And did you have rust issues with the MB ?

I know a few people who have had that issue, but living over here I guess would test any paint job

Rust issue with all four, one of the BMWs was the best for rust, but had something reasonably expensive each year I had it. The thing I like about the MBs is the simplicity of the mechanics. I mean, both BMWs I let go due to steering issues that were beyond economical to repair, mainly rack problems. My current MB does not even have rack and pinion steering (it is also newer than BMW. Yes in the couple of years I have had the MB there have been some minor issues, but nothing yet that has cost a load of money.

Lexus make a fine reliable car but they lack one key ingredient which the German brands and Jaguar have, desirability.

Like all Japanese manufacturers, car and motorcycle, they fail to grasp the reason that people will pay good money for something they desire with their heart.

Excellent points Max. But I'm now at an age where I purchase with my head and not my heart. Having worked in the motor trade for some time and driven many different brands the most pleasurable by far was the Lexus; smooth, quiet, comfortable, reliable...if only I could afford one (sigh).

Sure it may be a glorified Toyota, but where's the harm in that? If you can circumnavigate the image 'problem', it's a very fine motor car.

The JD Power survey (any relation?) suggested that the brand had a satisfied 'following'.

I had planned on a new VW Up, Seat Mi, Skoda Citigo next time around when the Aygo needs replacing. I'm after reliability with economy...any suggestions?

TBT.

Archived