Missing Out?

IOMRS97

Seems a nice little earner. Not being an EU member the Isle of Man won't be able to cash in on this one. http://rt.com/news/malta-eu-passports-sale-686/

Nothing to do with the EU as such. The Isle of Man does not have its own passports as they are British passports issued on the Island although they are called British Islands passports and they do say European Union on the front.

Isle of Man passports are ultimately UK controlled. They call the shots. The UK does "sell" permission to settle to those who can make or control a certain amount of investments. Therefore if the UK "sells" a passport the holder has the right to live but not necessarily work in the Isle of Man. Currently there is some sort EU Citizenship consequent upon the Maastricht and Lisbon treaties but as a notional adjunct to the nation state you are attached to.

The Island I suppose could "sell" Work permits and arguably it does so and there is the presently dormant yet to be invoked residency control legislation. Maybe that could be used to "sell" certain privileges. But not passports. The Isle of Man does not have a passport to call its own....

Oh yes we will have to accept all the Romanians, Bulgarians and everyone else with an EU passport. they have the right to come and live in the UK and here just like Brits, Irish, Poles, etc. Only extra, for all of them is that they will need a work permit to work.

Go to the Taj Mahal or the restaurant under the Empress and half the waiting on staff are Bulgarian already, many fishermen in Peel are now from the Baltic states (you don't need a work permit to be a fisherman)

I'm not against them coming in. They will do jobs that cannot otherwise be filled by Manx Workers, many in socially necessary but low paid jobs, they will pay their taxes and NI. They will contribute to the economy

Swings and roundabouts, not being in the EU means we won't have to worry about all the Romanians who will flood the UK in the new year

On the other hand we can't get oodles of money for infrastructure projects.

But then we don't have to pay in more than we get out for infrastructure projects...

Swings and roundabouts, not being in the EU means we won't have to worry about all the Romanians who will flood the UK in the new year

There's no border between the IOM and the UK Thommo. Residency in the UK also means the Isle of Man. Where do you think all the Eastern European workers that we have already came from ? The only control is the Work Permit system, which has about as much credibility as the OFT in my book.

Oh yes we will have to accept all the Romanians, Bulgarians and everyone else with an EU passport. they have the right to come and live in the UK and here just like Brits, Irish, Poles, etc. Only extra, for all of them is that they will need a work permit to work.

Go to the Taj Mahal or the restaurant under the Empress and half the waiting on staff are Bulgarian already, many fishermen in Peel are now from the Baltic states (you don't need a work permit to be a fisherman)

I'm not against them coming in. They will do jobs that cannot otherwise be filled by Manx Workers, many in socially necessary but low paid jobs, they will pay their taxes and NI. They will contribute to the economy

I have no problem with people coming here and working and making a better life for themselves, fair play to them it's the ones who want to come over and commit crimes and be scroungers

I have no problem with people coming here and working and making a better life for themselves, fair play to them it's the ones who want to come over and commit crimes and be scroungers

You mean copy the locals.

The other difference of course is that they cannot just roll up here, do nothing, and live on benefits as they can in the UK. I appreciate that it's a minority who do so, but nonetheless, it's crazy to allow it at all.

Not a big deal. Austria has been doing this for ages. The same firm of lawyers advertise the Austrian passport as well. Costs several times more than the Maltese passport but is better.

For people who cant afford these there is always the St Kitts and Nevis or even the Dominican passports.

Archived