Mandela Dead

doc.fixit

On Facebook people are making huge statements of their feelings on this mans death, the news is full of 'chinas reaction to the death of Mandela' - what's that about? I don't care what china or any of the (self proclaimed) local celebs think, rip would suffice.

Yes. We're never going to hear the last of it. Even Manx Radio saw the need to shunt the Manx News into a siding to accommodate the death of Mandela. Naturally, the BBC will talk of nothing else for a week. Is it some kind of inherited collective guilt speaking rather than respect? Like you say, RIP would suffice.

I agree on the whole Facebook thing, it's like people have to compete to show the greatest level of mourning, it can all seem a bit manufactured and false to me. However, the death of an internationally known historic figure of huge significance is bound to be big news. It is hardly a surprise that Manx Radio ran it before reporting the exciting news of the MEA sending workers to help Scotland, Peter Karran whinging about something, etc.

I hate the Facebook public outpourings of grief whenever someone dies. It doesn't matter who it is or what (if any) affect it has on people, everyone has to get in on the action.

I personally find it all a bit crass, it's not about the deceased, it's about them.

I read a really good article about it (might even have been something on here), but it was more about when someone less high profile dies and you feeling sad about it even though you had no connection to them, however every man and his dog is offering condolences to the family despite having no connection whatsoever just so they can be seen to be affected.

The bit that stuck with me was that yes, you can and will be affected by the death of a stranger, take that grief into you and accept that as weird as it is, you are upset about this person dying. But keep it to yourself, or discuss it with your close family and friends. You don't have to prove to the world that you're sad, you don't have to be the center of attention.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post 3V0. There is something deeply troubling about all of this "me too" heart on sleeve stuff, particularly in grief. Remember the Diana thing? Mass wailing hysteria. For goodness sake, what are we becoming? And the ironic thing is that where it really counts, society is becoming less caring all the time.

Good post 3V0. There is something deeply troubling about all of this "me too" heart on sleeve stuff, particularly in grief. Remember the Diana thing? Mass wailing hysteria. For goodness sake, what are we becoming? And the ironic thing is that where it really counts, society is becoming less caring all the time.

Very true.

I think I sound like a bastard sometimes when I feel like this though!

I'm sad whenever I hear of someone dying, albeit I'm actually less sad about an old man dying of old age, at his home surrounded by family than I am when I hear about an unknown child dying of cancer or similar.

He did good things and will be remembered and I think that's enough for me, I don't need to express anything to anyone about it.

(Apart from now...ironically)

Archived