Mandela Dead

doc.fixit

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of us will ever see a greater man in our lifetimes.

I have nothing against Nelson Mandela but I think that's a bit over the top. Some of us are still young enough that we could still be alive in the 2080s and maybe beyond. How do we know what the future holds and who will come and go in that time?

ETA. Noam Chomsky weighs in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj3JMkZzK6I

Alex Jones weighs in:

Alex Jones isn't even fit to utter the name of Nelson Mandela. Alex Jones is a complete, self-aggrandising, self-promoting twat of the highest order. Why am I not surprised you've provided a link to him?

I didn't say I agreed with him. If you bothered to watch the two videos, you'd see they offer opposing viewpoints.

A pity it wasn't Mugabe.

Do you think that every time somebody dies, or just when a black person dies?

Neither. I think it when an iconic and influential leader of an African nation dies.

How I am sadder about Mandela than anyone else

(I cant take credit for this but thought it worth sharing)

I dont know about you, but Im sitting here with tears streaming down my face, onto the table, then falling onto the floor. Ive been crying for the last sixteen hours without cease. Tear after tear after tear.

Hes gone.

Madiba.

Hes left us.

The world, for me, is a shadowy place now, a colder darker more hostile place with no light and total darkness everywhere. Things seem muffled, subdued. Eerily empty. It is like the tiny animals, the squirrels in our parks, are putting their little paws together and praying, in total silence. And also the pigeons.

And still we weep.

Personally, I never met Nelson Mandela, but in a very real sense I met him. He was like a father to me. He was also like a brother, an uncle, a stepfather, a halfbrother, a second cousin, a best friend, a sibling, a nephew, a great uncle, a great great great grandfather, an ancestor, a cheery taxi driver, a friendly neighbour, he was the owner of the cornershop of the world who always knew to save you the last packet of Hobnobs. The Chocolate Hobnobs of Global Reconciliation.

And now hes gone. Madiba. And I weep my tears, and the weeping will not stop, and the stopping of the tears will not arrive, and the carpet below me is now actually wet from my tears and will need to be shampooed.

But even though hes gone, he has not gone, because he is still here, even as I reach for more tissues, because his example will be there for all time.

Nelson Mandela was not just the greatest politician of the 20th century, I firmly believe he was the greatest human being of the 20th century. But Nelson Mandela wasnt just the greatest human being of the the 20th century, no, I firmly believe he was the greatest vertebrate organism in the history of evolution.

And yet, Nelson Madiba Mandela was so much more than that. He wasnt just the greatest vertebrate organism, he was something else too. Something that is perhaps beyond words.

But I am going to have a go anyway.

In a very real sense, Nelson Mandela was probably the greatest thing in the entire history of the observable universe, and it is for this that I believe he will be remembered remembered with smiles and tears and laughter, long after the sun has exploded into a huge ball of burning helium consuming the earth and destroying everything thereupon.

And this is why I weep. Because today is a time for tears. My tears. My tears of sadness. Because I am so very sad. And I am sadder about this than any of you, which is why I am, perhaps, in a pure and very humble sense, slightly better than you.

So let us remember, with tears and silence and reflection. And then let us pray, before the hacking sobs really kick in.

The most fitting tribute to date. My sides aches from crying too.

Archived