Mandela Dead

doc.fixit

Innocent civilians are not apartheid.

I know you like being deliberately obtuse but even you must understand the point being made. Apartheid claimed the lives of innocent civilians on both sides but it was right that Apartheid was opposed and fought against. Can you agree that Apartheid was the antithesis of liberty?

Killing innocent civilians is no better than apartheid. Two evils don't make a right.

I'm fairly sure I've managed to avoid name calling in all my time as a member of this forum but you don't half test a person's will power.

One more try, many opposed and fought against Apartheid in a non-violent way (harming no civilians). Can you agree that Apartheid was the antithesis of liberty?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Innocent civilians are not apartheid.

I know you like being deliberately obtuse but even you must understand the point being made. Apartheid claimed the lives of innocent civilians on both sides but it was right that Apartheid was opposed and fought against. Can you agree that Apartheid was the antithesis of liberty?

Killing innocent civilians is no better than apartheid. Two evils don't make a right.

I'm fairly sure I've managed to avoid name calling in all my time as a member of this forum but you don't half test a person's will power.

One more try, many opposed and fought against Apartheid in a non-violent way (harming no civilians). Can you agree that Apartheid was the antithesis of liberty?

I thought I made myself clear when I said "two EVILS"; Apartheid was and is evil. Yes, it's contrary to human liberty - the foremost liberty being the right to LIFE. Killing innocent civilians is a violation of liberty, just as Apartheid was and is.

Whilst I don't condone senseless killing, do you not consider they were fighting for liberty? One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter and all that.

An organisation which kills innocent civilians is not going to be much of a defender of individual liberty, is it? It's a contradiction in terms.

So the massacres at King David Hotel [22/07 1946], and Deir Yassin where 250 or so men, women and children were massacred [10/04/1948] - organised by luminaries such as Menachem Begin - were not justified - even though Ben Gurion said that "without Deir Yassin there would be no Israel"?

Correct.

Of course I would take up arms but not against civilians.

The people doing the oppressing are surely civilians as well though? They would view 'you' as a terrorist and would view such use of force as acting against their civilisation (whether you or I agree with their values or not).

How do you identify a civilian anyway? A lack of uniform?

It all seems rather simplistic to me.

Of course I would take up arms but not against civilians.

The people doing the oppressing are surely civilians as well though? They would view 'you' as a terrorist and would view such use of force as acting against their civilisation (whether you or I agree with their values or not).

How do you identify a civilian anyway? A lack of uniform?

It all seems rather simplistic to me.

No, I have to disagree. How would you know that those civilians were involved in oppression? That's nothing more than applying collective guilt to an entire group of people, which is wrong. For all you know, individuals you're targetting could be sympathetic to the anti-apartheid movement. For all you know, they could be tourists from another country. Only the individuals you know to be oppressors would be a valid target. Women and children should be out of the equation. You don't generate public support for your cause by arbitrarily blowing up your intended support base. If you really believe in individual liberty, you wouldn't be violating other individual's right to life. You'd seek peaceful routes for change, which are ultimately what did end apartheid.

No, I have to disagree. How would you know that those civilians were involved in oppression? That's nothing more than applying collective guilt to an entire group of people, which is wrong. For all you know, individuals you're targetting could be sympathetic to the anti-apartheid movement. For all you know, they could be tourists from another country. Only the individuals you know to be oppressors would be a valid target. Women and children should be out of the equation. You don't generate public support for your cause by arbitrarily blowing up your intended support base. If you really believe in individual liberty, you wouldn't be violating other individual's right to life. You'd seek peaceful routes for change, which are ultimately what did end apartheid.

That is the problem with this type of scenario. When you are there and involved, making those decisions, facing people who may or may not support of fight you, these things become so much harder. It is not often in life that situations are black and white (yes, I know) and in any struggle there will sadly be innocent people who lose their lives.

I am not saying it is right to target 'civilians' or the innocent but if you have to resort to violence as a last resort you need to be prepared that your actions and inactions could well lead to innocent people losing their lives. That is a decision that Mandela had to make and live with, once released from imprisonment he showed the world the way by accepting his imprisonment and his gaolers and working for the benefit of the country.

Respect. I especially liked him in the "Mr Monk joins a cult" episode.

Just because someone else has a presidential name doesn't mean they're me. And, Lonan, I already told you I don't believe in any of that stuff. That's not the God I believe in.

Maybe you should meet up with TJ, I know he's a big Monk fan.

Archived