Rip Peter O'toole

cheeky boy

A great actor.

My father often used to muse that having been born in the same city on the same day as Peter O'Toole, it was only an accident of birth that precluded him from playing Lawrence of Arabia.

(We didn't like to point out that there may have been more to it.)

Sounds like a lively kind of chap.

O'Toole and Peter Finch, the Australian actor and another heavy drinker, were once refused a drink in a pub in Ireland because it was after closing time. The stars wrote out a cheque to buy the pub. The landlord never cashed it and the three became friends.

After the landlord's death O'Toole and Finch were invited to the funeral and stood sobbing as their friend was lowered into the ground only to realise that they were at the wrong funeral – their friend was being buried 100 yards away.

A great actor.

My father often used to muse that having been born in the same city on the same day as Peter O'Toole, it was only an accident of birth that precluded him from playing Lawrence of Arabia.

Connemara?

A great actor.

Connemara?

or Dublin or Leeds?

Archived