Mr News Rent Rises Next Year Council Houses

EORH

From speaking to some landlords at the Co-min meeting held in Peel recently, the main concern of landlords is the "Landlord and Tenants (Private Housing) Bill 2013".

Most Landlords disagree with Mr. Robertshaw that the bill will provide a fair and reasonable balance between the rights of landlords and tenants.

I can't agree wih you there Rob. Having just gone through a flat hunting exercise with one of my kids I was astounded at the number of absolute craphouses up for rent here for up to £500-£600 a month that I wouldn't house my dog in. The landlords can moan all they like but Robertshaw is right. A lot of them have been renting dumps out for years and getting a very good return and investing nothing back into the properties at all. Some flats in central Douglas are a total disgrace and the legislation should sort that out. I see quite a few grotty flats starting to appear as private sales as the landlords know the writing is on the wall and they haven't got the cash to bring them up to the standard that's going to be required as they've spent all the money they got on big cars and holidays.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MF Guru,

It's all swings and roundabouts, I rented a house in Santon a few years ago and had the best landlord ever.

She gave us an excellent reference for the bank and allowed us to stay an extra month "rent free" because the house we purchased wasn't ready.

As I mentioned before there are a few very bad landlords on the Island that have been around for a long time. These landlords have made thousands from low income tenants and Mr. Robertshaw is right to go after these individuals.

As I mentioned before there are a few very bad landlords on the Island that have been around for a long time. These landlords have made thousands from low income tenants and Mr. Robertshaw is right to go after these individuals.

Those individuals in a lot of cases have also been paid by the DHSS to let out flats that are totally sub standard. Before now nobody at the DHSS seems to have been worried about inspections or safety standards and just stick a cheque in the post every month no questions asked. There are a lot more bad or lazy landlords out there than you think. Quite a few also seem to be running out of cash as their mini property empire hits the skids and they no longer have any money for repairs or maintenence as they are servicing the debts or have spent all the cash. The legislation will flush a lot of these people out and its a good thing.

Of course bad landlords should be subject to reasonable legislation. However if the balance tips too far in the tenant's benefit, then it is inevitable that the accommodation available will reduce which then goes against the tenant's interests.

localyokel, I'd say there are a lot more good landlords out there than you think. Trouble is you only ever hear about the bad ones.

localyokel, I'd say there are a lot more good landlords out there than you think. Trouble is you only ever hear about the bad ones.

Fewer at the lower end of the spectrum from what I've seen recently. There's quite a lot of piss takers thinking someone sees no issue lashing out over £550 a month plus deposits etc for a damp poorly maintained flat. Kids don't know any better but the agents should, and the agents don't seem to think that sort of rate is unreasonable for something that at best is mediocre and at worst is pretty shoddy.

What I can't understand is why is the government dragging its feet over private accommodation, there should be an inspection of all before they are allowed to rent out, for the public's health and safety, to put it another way, would our MHKs live in these properties?, the answer is no.

The government make people in other trades or businesses comply with strict regulations so why not Landlords, imagine the Island in one case having the hundreds of Taxis plying for hire without all the safety checks and tests, there would be uproar from our politicians, these vehicles are not allowed on the road no matter what it costs to the owners, this is just one example, there must be others, in the Hotel trade, Airplanes, Ships, Petrol Stations, if the regs were lax in these there would be complains from the public.

• 8 months later...

Archived