Mr News Rent Rises Next Year Council Houses

EORH

I don't get what it is they want. If they want to means test, they could just try asking, or could just look at tax returns? I'd give them permission to look t mine if they wanted it. When I moved in with my girlfriend we sent them a letter saying so, they wrote back saying 'thanks for letting us know' and that was it. I thought they might have wanted to know something about earnings and that but no. Very strange.

As someone who lives in PS housing I think that they should be spending their time and effort into a large scale move around of people, instead of trying to grab more money. It is insane that a family of 4 can live in a 1 and a half bedroom terraced 'house' while a semi-retired single man, or a rapidly approaching pension age couple live in 4 bedroomed homes with massive gardens. As happens on my estate.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

probably find there a quite a few well paid CS's in public sector housing and they don't want to upset themselves with means testing

I hope you all mean ' means testing ' for everyone. Thereby the Government would only give grants etc and Tax Holidays to those who really need it, or does that make me a traitor, communist , Guardian reader, Council House dweller . Paying a realistic rent, and dreaming of a future when Private Rents become realistic again and the Government can stop the constant habit of hitting the poor to keep the rich happy.

Just to give some stats to this topic.

According to department data, 25% of public sector housing tenants are in receipt of income related benefits and as such are unaffected by any rental increases.

My concerns regard the escalating increase in rental charges for the other 75%, many of which are on a fixed or low income.

Since 1st April 2012, some tenants in Onchan have seen their rents increase between 18.5% to 37.5%, this has been without any proper open consultation with the local authorities, means testing or assessing the ability to pay on the part of the tenant.

Again, according to data around 3% tenants no longer require local authorities housing and these would have been identified through means testing.

The new shared equity arrangement with Government also provides an excellent exit strategy to enable local authority tenants or low income families in the private sector to get the keys to their own home.

Since 1st April 2012, some tenants in Onchan have seen their rents increase between 18.5% to 37.5%, this has been without any proper open consultation with the local authorities, means testing or assessing the ability to pay on the part of the tenant.

What is the percentage difference between renting a house in the public sector and private sector? Those who can't afford housing just apply for more money from the goverment, those who can are still at least 50% better off than those in the private sector.

What is the percentage difference between renting a house in the public sector and private sector? Those who can't afford housing just apply for more money from the goverment, those who can are still at least 50% better off than those in the private sector.

If we take Onchan as an example, an average three house is around £85 per week or £4,420 per annum, plus £663 in rates = £5,083.00.

From looking at a number property websites this morning you can rent a three bedroom houses from £800 or £9,600 (approx) per annum.

We also have remember the real purpose for public sector housing, which is for low income families or individuals.

The benefit of PS housing is that it is not subject to the swings of the volatile housing market. That is one reason that there is such demand. The other is that generally, local authorities are good landlords when compared to some of the private sector chancers.

I believe that a fair rent should be charged by local authorities and those who can't afford it could claim housing benefit. This way there is no need for government to subsidise local authorities at all. A fair rent does not necessarily mean in line with the over inflated local market mind you.

Wow, 85 quid a week for a three bedroom house! Bargain! It'll take a while to cover all those renovations in Onchan at those prices!

Yes, but Local Authority tenants pay for LIFE?

£85 per week - £4,420, plus rates and other taxes

£5,083 each year approx (10 years £50,830, 20 years £101,660, 40 years £203,320)

They wont get to keep a property at the end of their tenancy

Archived