Manxforums 10th Birthday Bash Poll Thread

Mission

MF 10th Birthday Bash  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Best night I ever had in a pub for conversation and a laugh consisted of 4 people in the company.

yeah but I bet the other 3 weren't made up of the utter human detritus that litters these forums

Be just as well then if the rest of us minnows steered clear of the Party to allow the MF intellectual leviathans more room to hold court,eh?

All of a sudden I don't feel worthy enough to attend, it seems you either have to be a comedic genius or intellectual of gargantuan proportions.....party snobbery in action :-)

or wear odd socks, and drive an "Allegro"biggrin.png .

odd socks and an Allegro?

that guy sounds like a king amongst men

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best night I ever had in a pub for conversation and a laugh consisted of 4 people in the company.

yeah but I bet the other 3 weren't made up of the utter human detritus that litters these forums

Be just as well then if the rest of us minnows steered clear of the Party to allow the MF intellectual leviathans more room to hold court,eh?
All of a sudden I don't feel worthy enough to attend, it seems you either have to be a comedic genius or intellectual of gargantuan proportions.....party snobbery in action :-)
or wear odd socks, and drive an "Allegro"biggrin.png .

odd socks and an Allegro?

that guy sounds like a king amongst men

Especially if it's a chocolate brown Allegro estate with matching interior...truly a car that looks like a crimped off turd.

The upstairs private room at the British is nice. Convenient for public transport, taxis and parking. I'd sponsor room rental cost. Mission, want to call me, or e-mail me, I'm in the book/an easy net search, or PM me on here

Nice offer John, though personally I'd prefer it just to be in an ordinary pub open to the public. Make it like an AGM and I think it will put quite a few off coming, as entering the room might be like 'tonight Mathew..I'm going to be' and people will feel a bit too conspicuous. Likewise if only a few turn up, those in the room might feel a bit awkward.

The upstairs private room at the British is nice. Convenient for public transport, taxis and parking. I'd sponsor room rental cost. Mission, want to call me, or e-mail me, I'm in the book/an easy net search, or PM me on here

Nice offer John, though personally I'd prefer it just to be in an ordinary pub open to the public. Make it like an AGM and I think it will put quite a few off coming, as entering the room might be like 'tonight Mathew..I'm going to be' and people will feel a bit too conspicuous. Likewise if only a few turn up, those in the room might feel a bit awkward.

Fair point Albert, but for those of us that don't already know many forum users in real life, how will we know who's there for the party and who's just having a quiet pint? Could be awkward either way.

I agree with Albert. I popped along to the one at Amber, which was open to the public even though the area was intended as a 'private' party with music (some would use the term 'music' loosely although I enjoyed it) laid on. But with the place being public, people could choose to be a normal member of the public who just happened to pop in for a drink. But even those souls, including myself, integrated quickly.

The biggest help was some big bloke who said "hello" to every on as they came in and settled them in to the place (nice one mission). Any awkwardness was soon dissipated. There seemed to be friendly, genial and avuncular people there such as Lonan3 and Mr Peters. Plenty of ladies too, as I remember but they didn't all look like witches. Actually, I don't think any of them did.

But if you don't like that sort of thing, it wasn't all smiles and bonhomie. There was a builder well known - very well known - on the forum and Isle of Man life in general. (I had a good ol' growl with him. Great fun), Actually, In an earlier more sober conversation, I even managed to get some super advice about NAS drives, there are some very helpful technies use manxforums.

The point being, I know that some of the people would not have turned up if the place had been a private venue, they needed that 'in-out' space. Downstairs of the British would be ok, or even better The Bridge which has a DJ and bands, I think that would be ideal.

The Bridge used to be a pub, but since it's latest refurb it now resembles someones bathroom. Someone with bad taste.

A bridge too far?

I thought that was the famous bridge linking the 2 notorious offices together involved in the Savings and Investment Bank scandal.

That's a very nice offer from John and I can understand the different opinions. With low numbers that upstairs room could be a bit big, but a pub isn't really conducive to mixing and moving around. One group will get in a corner and that will be that unless we reserve an area or something. I know that upstairs room at the British and it would be ideal if there was thirty people for instance. Much less than that and I'd go for the pub idea, as long as it had a suitable space.

Whatever is decided is fine with me, but I'd like to try and say hello to as many members as possible on the night. That seems to be the whole point for me. Some entertainment (guitars / karaoke ?) and a small buffet would be great too. £10 a head wouldn't be unreasonable.

Thanks to those trying to make it happen....

Honestly, if i could i would but the holiday has been booked and paid for. Am gutted to miss it, I'd love to smash some beers with you lot.

Would it be too much to ask for a date change, lol?! thumbsup.gif

Merkin, you should come back for the party, it is the 10th after all.

Archived