Speed Gun Traps

pinkvixter

One of the problems with this method of speed detection is that it's hand held. Other countries use tripod mounted detection devices to remove this source of error.

This is going to sound somewhat paranoid but I now have a camera behind the rear view mirror that fires up when you turn the key. It records, in amazing quality, a very wide angle of view forwards along with mapping of your location, speed, local sound and g force. You get about 8 hours recording onto a good sized SD card. Whilst not installed specifically to catch out coppers who 'get confused' it would help in the above instance.

It would also help against any possible "all this was witnessed by an anonymous off duty sergeant riding his push bike the other way" or similar type evidence that has allegedly been threatened to be used once or twice against suspects so I have been told. It would also catch out any officer who said he'd been called a pleb when he hadn't thumbsup.gif

Edited to say, I'm all for the police catching speeders. I just wish they come up our road occasionally. If you had been speeding with a dash cam in the car, the evidence is clearly recorded so I think these dash cams can help in keeping to the limit.

It's not paranoid to have a dashboard cam, it's just a bit of insurance. I don't have one myself, but I know people that do, and they're commonplace around the globe.

I don't think it's required on the island though, by and by the police do a good job with regards to handling of motoring offences - Who hasn't been cautioned at some point or the other for being a few mph over the speed limit. (Watch me get caught in the near future and change my tune drastically, ha!)

My main issue is roads with speed limits far too low for the road

The police were tracking people by The Level in late summer, a couple of months later there were a few people in the paper fined for it.

I thought I'd got 'got' doing 40 in a 30 near Port Soderick a couple of years ago but no letter ever came.

In our tests, it wrongly recorded a wall as travelling at 44mph, an empty road scored 33mph, a parked car was clocked as doing 22mph and a bicycle (in reality being ridden at 5mph) rocketed along at an impossible 66mph.

Convenient how they're all double numbers!

Archived