£50 Sewerage Charge

Bradzin

No,there is only a charge for connection to the main sewer or for emptying septic tanks.

Thanks, there is the answer then, everyone needs to dig a couple of holes in their gardens, one fill with rubble to form a soak away and one to install a septic tank/ bio digester bulb. The saving of 50 quid this year will not really cover the costs but you would be able to say you refused to pay the scat tax in the pub/ lodge.

I got my letter today in my rates bill re the toilet tax. I must say it was very reminiscent of the old 'izal' paper which public toilets always seemed to have, anyway its on the way back to the water authority as we speak. A little e45 cream will sort the soreness !

• Like 2

There has been bragging about how the Isle of Man Government has managed to secure a huge amount of reserves over the years (it could do little else considering the VAT bonanza that went on for so long undetected - there is only so much money that can be thrown at such as IRIS, MEA and other such £millionaire making projects)

The Isle of Man Government should use the reserves, not impose further charges on the public.

The reason they will not use the reserves is because it is seen as their (along with all the Government paid workers) money...,,their salaries for the future.....their lump sum retirement wedge........their pension pot......flowing in like the tide until the very day, way in the future, when they die.

Some of the sums being paid to retiring civil servants and other Government paid workers are obscene. There is no way these people have earned anything like those sums.

The only way to stop this outrageous plundering of the reserves in a democracy is to vote in people who will have the balls to do something about it. At present there are just a handful of people who have the decency to stand up to what is happening.

Edited by carbon selector
  • Like 6

Does the IOM Government, or the WASA, or whoever is collecting the money have to pay commercial bank charges? It costs 65p to pay a cheque in to a business account.

I propose that as a protest, while still actually paying the charge and thus staying on the side of the law, that people pay the charge in installments. Small ones. Like £1 per week. Or better, 50p. By cheque.

The cost to the government would be hilarious. And while I am a bit sad at the idea of further enriching the banks, the idea of 'civil servant' and his co-workers having to process tiny cheques and updating peoples payment records fills me with joy.

Go on, you know it makes sense.

Does the IOM Government, or the WASA, or whoever is collecting the money have to pay commercial bank charges? It costs 65p to pay a cheque in to a business account.

You mistyped "taxpayer" there.

You mistyped "taxpayer" there.

Exactly. Not the best idea I've seen on this forum. I don't care for my hard earned tax going to pay for people to sit around processing all the extra cheques. Although I'm sure the staff would be happy if they get some OT out of it!

Some of the sums being paid to retiring civil servants and other Government paid workers are obscene. There is no way these people have earned anything like those sums.

+1

David Killip the former CEO at Nobles, has gone 2 years early citing he wanted the new incumbent to the position to have full authority "at the outset". He felt it would be unfair to 'move forward' with the Nobles changes prior to handing over the post at his expected retirement date.

Not sure what he's been on (monkey glands?), but he doesn't look 63 to me!

All very laudable his 'reason' for departure, but it shouldn't be for the tax payer to fund his extended retirement as he's 2 years short on payments and will be 2 years in excess on receipts.

The disbelieving will suggest he was an unacceptable cohort in the Nobles7 scandal and has been 'paid off' with 2 years hush money. Certainly I'd be interested if anyone can 'go early' without loss of benefits.

What's the betting Killip already has another job lined up?

This also disappoints the taxpayer who part fund the CS pension scheme, more so when The Courier/Examiner (?) leads with 20 something families receiving benefits in excess of £20+k. That journalistic claptrap was particularly well received by those that know no better, screaming for blood. Only for the self same sychophants to touch their forelock to anybody up at Nobles who earn well in excess of what they're actually worth.

I'm of the opinion that it's viable to empty out a good % of the Nobles 'management'; where the only person who could discriminate between the changes would be the wages clerk!

Lions led by donkeys. And I doubt any report, independent or otherwise, will alter that.

TBT.

• Like 2

Fine. Pay your money, take your shit. Figured it might be a way of displaying minor dissent. Sending a message etc.

Not paying it at all would be a better message than deliberately incurring costs for the taxpayer.

If even just 25% of the poo tax recipients refused to pay, it would make for an interesting decision they'd have to take.

• Like 1

Now the bills are out, I wonder how many of those previously stating they might not pay it, will actually go ahead and refuse to pay it?

Better still Albert, I'm going to pay and send the receipt to my MHK with an accompanying letter explaining his agreement to the sewage charge has forfeited my vote at the next general Election.

It only needs his/her 'majoritys' worth of letters on his desk to realise that he's kissed goodbye to a fabulous salary and associated pension.

TBT.

• Like 6