£50 Sewerage Charge

Bradzin

Local Authority rates will increase, increase and increase in the coming few years because of the costs being transferred from the taxpayer to the ratepayer.

Quite. And they don't even have the decency to laugh as they say it is about "saving the taxpayer money". Taxes will not reduce. They will just be reserved to feed the government machine, while the taxpayer pays again wearing his ratepayer hat.

• Like 1

Big Bills to business but 70% of us will be better off by this method than having the £100 flat fee charged. Sorry if you fall into the 30% that are not.

I wouldn't be so concerned about that if we weren't still wasting money on over the top administration. It could also cost a few people their jobs so they won't be better off.

Big Bills to business but 70% of us will be better off by this method than having the £100 flat fee charged. Sorry if you fall into the 30% that are not.

No we are not better off..............

We were forced to accept the £50 charge despite a 6,000 petition and now we are all happy because we may pay less than £100 next year - crazy!...........

Will anyone actually know if they pay more or less the £100 charge from April 2015 because most rates are made up of lots of charges presented as the "rates"

Don't forget the rate will also increase to .92p the following year.

Surely a fairer rate should be a combination of the amount of people residing in the household and a calculation of all appliances, showers, toilets etc. having an individual grading similar to white electrical goods?

Surely a fairer rate should be a combination of the amount of people residing in the household and a calculation of all appliances, showers, toilets etc. having an individual grading similar to white electrical goods?

Or just install water meters measuring in and out like is done in parts of the UK, you pay for what you use, simple as that.

Massive upfront costs on those and lots of extra civil servants to work it all out. Fantastic. What we actually need is less government workers doing "bugger all" jobs or simply doing bugger all. If you think that has been sorted, it truly has not. Even people who work in government are up in arms about their legions of colleagues who don't.

Another problem with the rateable value approach to this will be some big bills heading towards hard pressed businesses/employers.

Massive upfront costs perhaps, but it would be in the interest of everyone to do it, its no different than gas or electric, its a basic 'service' that you pay for what you use. Once installed it requires one person to check the meters (I've no doubt the gas man could read both meters at the same visit, thus extra workers wouldn't be needed. It really is the only sensible and fair option.

Charging varying amounts for people on varying incomes is just opening a can of worms that shouldn't be opened. A pensioner in a bungalow is likely to be charged as much as a working family, completely wrong, its invariably going to push private rents up which is already hitting those on low incomes hard enough.

I understand the need to charge for such services and I'm grateful for it being subsided up until now, but the way this is being pushed out is disgusting.

It's not a massive cost to install a water meter - I asked my plumber about this in case it ever needed to be replaced and anyway it's paid for by the water company. Reading is easy, can even be automated like my electricity smart meter (free installation BTW). Water meter can be indoors or outdoors.

One man and his dog paying £75 p.a. for water here (daily shower, normal other usage), using septic tank which needs treating no more than once every ten years (septic tank very common in rural areas).

What's happening on the island is just utter incompetence and will be the final straw for some.

• Like 1

Nobody will be better off, this is called having the wool pulled over your eyes, where did you get a figure of 70% will be better off from?

Nobody will be better off, this is called having the wool pulled over your eyes, where did you get a figure of 70% will be better off from?

I heard the same thing on the radio! So it must be true....

I heard the same thing on the radio! So it must be true....

I strongly suggest people check the rateable value of their property and make their own calculations.

• Like 1

It's not a massive cost to install a water meter - I asked my plumber about this in case it ever needed to be replaced and anyway it's paid for by the water company. Reading is easy, can even be automated like my electricity smart meter (free installation BTW). Water meter can be indoors or outdoors.

One man and his dog paying £75 p.a. for water here (daily shower, normal other usage), using septic tank which needs treating no more than once every ten years (septic tank very common in rural areas).

What's happening on the island is just utter incompetence and will be the final straw for some.

As a comparison, one woman and her dog in a rural area here pays a water rate of £298

Regarding septic tanks, the old brick chamber ones you can get away with emptying every ten years, but the new modern ones you cannot.

The new modern ones also only have an average life span of 25 years.

Totally agree with the utter incompetence and final straw (I'm still foaming at the mouth!)

Don't forget the rate will also increase to .92p the following year.

So your rateable value has to be £108 or less in order to be in the '70% better off' camp............

Can't be anywhere close to 30% being at or below that value

Great way for the Govt. to use the toilet tax to treat the residents like sh*t again and grab more cash under the guise of 'fairer'