Sorry We Raided Your House There...

Amadeus

This kind of thing is exactly the reason why these anti terrorist loons, who are supposed to protect the public, have to be kept under very tight controls. Looks they they raided a house for absolutely no reason at all. Let's hope they get hammered with law suits and compensation demands:

A top diplomat’s son arrested during an anti-terror raid at his parents’ £650,000 home was tonight released without charge.

Police said the 19-year-old, named in reports as James Sutcliffe, will face no further action.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/140129/british-diplomats-son-freed-after-counter-terror-arrest

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/james-sutcliffe-nicholas-sutcliffes-son-3091402

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lawsuits and compensation for a mixup? It's YOU that's demonstrating exactly what is wrong with society. This "what can I get out of it" attitude.

What would be wrong with a private apology from the police to him and that be the end of the matter? What exactly do you propose he is compensated *for*? This kneejerk lawsuit reaction is pathetic.

Police, like everyone else, make mistakes. I'd rather they make a few mistakes along the way than be hesitant to act when they should because they are under constant fear from some "me first" asshole suing them.

The problem is that Police, not only in the UK, have adopted too much of a Gung Ho attitude to these things. Only because some spurious internet link (apparently wrongly) suggests there might be something doesn't justify them rampaging through a house of what appears to be an innocent third party. The anti terror laws have become way to far reaching and only if the fuzz knows that making a mistake can be costly for them will they think twice before making an arse of themselves yet again.

A private apology isn't good enough. People need to be held to account for fuck ups like this. Imagine they ransacked your house, terrified your kids and damaged your property - and of course screwed your reputation in the town, innocent or not. Sure you would just go "No problem mate, mistakes happen..." I'm also not suggesting people should enrich themselves - by all means, give the money to charity, preferably one that supports victims of crime.

It says in your link that the Telegraph are reporting that they got the wrong address. In which case it's nothing to do with anti terrorism laws, more of an admin error. I bet it happens all the time.

Yeah easy done - a bit like "shoot that Jean Charles de Menezes guy" and "don't shoot that Jean Charles de Menezes guy".

Rampaging? Ransacking? Did any of that happen?

Or did they arrest the wrong guy and release him a few hours later. Worst case he's got a cool story to tell his mates at the wine bar about the day he joined the underclass.

I'm speechless that you simply accept such a massive invasion of someone's privacy with such lax attitude. Hey ho, cool story. WTF ans?

There wouldn't be a story if it wasn't "a top diplomat's son" in a "£650,000 home". If they kicked in the wrong door on a flat in a council estate in Brixton, and the wrong person was arrested for stealing a car you wouldn't hear about it. Same cock up, same invasion of privacy. But then you wouldn't get to rant about "anti terrorism loons".

I'm speechless that you simply accept such a massive invasion of someone's privacy with such lax attitude. Hey ho, cool story. WTF ans?

Not saying it's right, I'm just questioning why your first reaction is to suggest they sue for compensation and then liberally sprinkle emotionally charged rhetoric which simply doesn't seem to be supported by the story to augment your bullshit.

Lawsuits and compensation for a mixup? It's YOU that's demonstrating exactly what is wrong with society. This "what can I get out of it" attitude.

What would be wrong with a private apology from the police to him and that be the end of the matter? What exactly do you propose he is compensated *for*? This kneejerk lawsuit reaction is pathetic.

Police, like everyone else, make mistakes. I'd rather they make a few mistakes along the way than be hesitant to act when they should because they are under constant fear from some "me first" asshole suing them.

Yes, they do make mistakes.

But even if you don't take my politics on board and see they claim to authority as completely unjust and interference in all respects, from a liberal perspective an arrest of an innocent position, which involves the use of force on an innocent person and puts them in a situation where they have no control or freedom is very serious indeed.

The person should be compensated for that intrusion, recognising it was a mistake. We may let the police off by not punishing them for their mistake but the innocent person deserves social support. But we don't have a system that compensation for arrests, so they have to go the legal route and unfortunately most of us don't have ability to undertake legal proceedings such as this, because we aren't loaded like these people.

No different to compensation for incarcerating someone. We do that for time spend in gaol, why not do it for time whilst under arrest?

Archived