Wanted. Usb To Vga Monitor Adapter

glass

Totally irrelevant but....you can transfer data from an old iMac to a new iMac using an ethernet cable. I did not know this until recently and I happen to think it is a rather useful piece of knowledge to have. Sorry it isn't your cable but it might be of some use someday :)

Andy - you'd be best off getting one online, but remember, don't expect anything fancy from it, basic office stuff is all USB can manage because of the amount or lack thereof of data that a USB port can carry.

Edit to add: If they're identical monitors, you can get a splitter to split the resolution between the two displays but your graphics card needs to be powerful enough. If it's a desktop, it'd be advised to just add a new graphics card or replace existing. I use dedicated graphics for my main monitors and for the third, the Intel suffices.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Dell xps one all in desktop , the type that looks like a flat panel TV. It does not have any form of external monitor connection or way to attach one to the mother board. Only connectors are USB and FireWire.

I want an extra monitor to extend the desktop for basic web browsing and fixed programs like excel, word etc so I can see two at once.

I have seen them mail order I just hoped a local would have a spare to sell.

Other option would be to find a second xps one.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a Dell xps one all in desktop , the type that looks like a flat panel TV. It does not have any form of external monitor connection or way to attach one to the mother board. Only connectors are USB and FireWire.

I want an extra monitor to extend the desktop for basic web browsing and fixed programs like excel, word etc so I can see two at once.

I would have thought they'd had HDMI out at the very least. They missed a trick there. Though, it's an XPS one with firewire, the only one I can find with firewire is the 27" which has HDMI in and out...HDMI to VGA adapters are a tenner and work well enough.

Though, I'd imagine having USB 3.0 will be a major boost to things if you have the ports. In theory, it should provide reasonable, if not good performance. (10x more bandwidth than USB 2.0)

I would have thought they'd had HDMI out at the very least. They missed a trick there. Though, it's an XPS one with firewire, the only one I can find with firewire is the 27" which has HDMI in and out...HDMI to VGA adapters are a tenner and work well enough.

Though, I'd imagine having USB 3.0 will be a major boost to things if you have the ports. In theory, it should provide reasonable, if not good performance. (10x more bandwidth than USB 2.0)

I have an ultrabook with only HDMI output, I have been looking these convertors on amazon so I can run an additional monitor full HD monitor over a USB 2.0 port.

It does seem fanciful, but this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plugable-supports-External-Videocard-converter/dp/B00ALGOES2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391940153&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+to+dvi seems to have good reviews and is under £30 with postage so worth a punt. I would have bought one already if I was not deliberating about getting one of the cheap 27inch crossover monitors instead.

These are certainly a useful bit of kit so I can't see anyone having one go spare.

Archived