Scottish Independence - Hard Talk over the pound

Chinahand

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so should we be thinking of consequences too?

partner of some type with Scotland ?

consortium with Jersey and Gurnsey ?

full independence?

a different relationship with England?

F***ing great big piss up more like!!!

Good riddance to em.

ETA: Oooh oooh...then we can declare war on them again, and employ all of the unemployed rebuilding Hadrian's wall to keep em in.

so should we be thinking of consequences too?

partner of some type with Scotland ?

consortium with Jersey and Gurnsey ?

full independence?

a different relationship with England?

Closer links with all of them would be the ideal.

Then play them against each other. It's obvious.

If Scotland does choose complete independence, you can bet Wales will start making similar noises - they won't want to be left in a nation of 'Little Englanders'

Would be a great move. For England. No stomach for it in Wales though. They know which side their bread's buttered. So do most of the Scots come to that.

It depends on how much you actually lost in RBS shares (bad advice is great, it grates all the way to SIB and beyond).

If I lived in Scotland.....yes.....I would give this advice.......no.

That is, I do, and how will I vote?

The pound has virtually nothing to do with the main issues, it is one of the usual red-herrings to flag up nationalist support. It was the same in the 1970s in I.O.M. with challenges brought by Manx independence groups, on a thankfully less damaging scale. No matter how valid the cause was, 'red-herrings' directed public attention away from the arguments brought by those who felt the need of some government intervention..

And here we have the pound which is declared to be, popularly, a Scottish institution, hence the chant: 'Hands off our Pound' in Scotland, without any clear knowledge of how the pound works, either in name or consitution.

Aye. Fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live -- at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, JUST ONE ONCE (!), to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take OUR FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!

Has Mel Gibson been helicoptered in yet?

"Scotland won't vote for Independence...."

Well if the Referendum returns a 'Yea' then there is a problem for a large amount of the population trying to get their houses sold to move even a few miles south of the Borders.

Certain Scottish newspapers support opposing sides of the argument, you have to read the letters pages, not just the headlines to find out the direction they are taking with their editorial.

If, for instance, there is a 'No' vote have we all heard the last of the SNP policy for separating the UK?

Do you think the Tories are really that bothered? Labour must be shitting it a bit. Losing Scotland would pretty much kill off any chance of a Labour majority at future general elections.

It would strengthen the Tory position or mean endless coalitions.......

As for the Tory's the answer is yes they are bothered. Scotland has the highest GDP in the uk outside London City. In other words, if you remove London from the equation Scotland subsidises the rest of the uk, money the Tories cannot afford to lose. And I am not talking about income from oil.

I see today Scotland now have the right to issue bonds to raise money. That basically seals their independence.

Archived