13 yr old girl selling cookies outside marijuana shop in Colorado -- a good example for Manx youths

Thomas Jefferson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVlBpZ6lvHg

This is brilliant. Good on her! Why don't we see kids doing this sort of thing in the Isle of Man? I assume there must be all sorts of ridiculous laws, regulations, required permits, and forms to fill in, which would make it nigh on impossible for a kid to be able to do it here. Or maybe I'm wrong; in which case, perhaps schools could do more to reach out to business people to get involved in programmes to encourage a spirit of entrepreneurship. Why not introduce an entire new class at school in which business people come and teach the kids, give them lessons and advice on how to setup a business -- practical things which may actually help them (and us, as a society).

This is brilliant. Good on her! Why don't we see kids doing this sort of thing in the Isle of Man? I assume there must be all sorts of ridiculous laws, regulations, required permits, and forms to fill in, which would make it nigh on impossible for a kid to be able to do it here.

But there are no marijuana shops here.

Young enterprise scheme does exactly what Lonan says... the thing is you, as a student, have to have the drive to get involved. No one is forced to take part as it can involve a lot of work.

The project I was involved in required us to design a product, source materials, produce it, market it and sell it. In order to make a profit we had to cover all costs including labour so it really is a good scheme.

There is no pass or fail you just learn from the experience.

The Young Enterprise Scheme is done by kids whose parents work in the companies or whatever. Normal kids just aren't encouraged to take part. We need something which will be inclusive of all kids. Also, only kids with friends who would be interested in taking part in it with them are going to be able to do it. I doubt they let individuals work alone. If a young teenager doesn't have the "drive" then that's their parents' and their school's fault. You can't blame a child for that, especially when destroying the drive of the less well off (so they can perpetuate class divisions) is the entire point of the educational system. Entrepreneurialism needs to become part of the curriculum. For everyone.

TJ - My parents were not in "business" when I took part in Young Enterprise. One had passed away and the other was a public servant and nothing to do with the scheme. I was a normal kid, I was not one of the popular kids yet I still stuck my hand up and said I want to be involved.

You cannot teach entrepreneurialism as it involves a lot of self motivation, determination and tenacity. You can teach business skills but would you trust the Government to set a curriculum for that?

Okay, fair enough. I retract my comment on the Young Enterprise Scheme. I do, however, wish that someone had done more to encourage me to take part in it. Passion and drive have to be nurtured in a child and some parents and some teachers are better than others. The fact is, I had zero inclination or interest in capitalism or free enterprise when I was a young teenager. It's only now, after studying economics and theories surrounding individual liberty that I've come to appreciate the incredible power that capitalism has for human freedom.

Archived